LA Let only 8% Annual fee

jaykerr

Hi,

I would like some advice on how to best to approach the LA who rented out my flat. Being naive I signed the contract once the LA rented out my apt. Unfortunately this included a 8% fee which is similar to the scenario to the case of Foxton's v's the OFT.

The tenants have now moved on after which the LA sent a letter to me requesting the 8% fee which I havent paid them. However there was maintainence charges which I submitted to my LA which they did eventually obtain from the tenants.

I have requested the maintainence charges from the LA but they refuse until I clear the 8% annual fee which is acutally higher than the maintainence charges.

What would be the best approach in getting the LA to quash the 8% fee in light of the foxton ruling, thats if I have a valid case.

Can the LA actually withold the maintainence charges until I pay the 8%(which i am not prepared to do)

Would I have to bring the LA through a small claims court or another legal process and how likely would I be successfull.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rgds,

From what you are saying I would think you need to make your LA aware that the recent court case regarding Foxtons makes their annual tenant renewal fee case invalid and illegal and take it from there and see what they have to say.

Mel.

Can someone provide details re Foxtons case. I have a London flat and getting nailed by Hamptons for 10%

Hi,

I would like some advice on how to best to approach the LA who rented out my flat. Being naive I signed the contract once the LA rented out my apt. Unfortunately this included a 8% fee which is similar to the scenario to the case of Foxton's v's the OFT.

The tenants have now moved on after which the LA sent a letter to me requesting the 8% fee which I havent paid them. However there was maintainence charges which I submitted to my LA which they did eventually obtain from the tenants.

I have requested the maintainence charges from the LA but they refuse until I clear the 8% annual fee which is acutally higher than the maintainence charges.

What would be the best approach in getting the LA to quash the 8% fee in light of the foxton ruling, thats if I have a valid case.

Can the LA actually withold the maintainence charges until I pay the 8%(which i am not prepared to do)

Would I have to bring the LA through a small claims court or another legal process and how likely would I be successfull.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rgds,

Archived