Landlord Insurance

Hogster

I think this will be a new question not asked before.

I owned/own property A which I lived in and then rented out. I kept on the old residential insurance having informed the insurer that it had been rented out temporarily. This has now become permanent according to the insurer (in fairness over 9 years isn't very temporary). So now I need business/landlord insurance.

Here's the good bit, in the mean time I incurred a CCJ on property B (owned) where I currently live due to a change in my employment and financial circumstances, the CCJ is still outstanding. This appears to be a problem in obtaining insurance, but obviously I need to obtain insurance, so advice is appreciated.

No point in lying, because insurers love a reason not to pay out. So, can my wife get the insurance as she doesn't have a CCJ but is at the same property and the rental property is joint owned. Are there insurers that will insure and don't charge the earth or can I get a relative like the inlaws to insure it (I pay them the premium) or would they not be able to do this as they don't own the property or rent it out. Or is there a way to get around this as the insurance will be for property A and the CCJ is at property B and I could use property A to receive the documents and pick them up.

Obviously as previously stated, need it to be legal just in case I ever needed to claim. I'm not really bothered about contents insurance (it's a fully furnished rental) just buildings insurance in case anything catastrophic happened.

We use several insurers and they all ask about CCJs. If answered "Yes" the case would be referred and the insurer would deal with it on an individual basis. Most come back with no additional terms or increase in premium and thus it is no problem. I would suggest just giving a few insurers a try and just being honest. Feel free to contact us if you like.

If you go down the "insure in wife's name" route, the property would have to be in her name really and the question about CCJs sometimes applies to business partners and family members so be careful when answering the question.

You must be 100% honest with your insurers and do not to try and beat the system.

As you say, Insurance Companies look for any excuse not to pay out and if they can see you have hidden any detail then they will not pay out.....simple as that.

Mel.

Archived