tenant no longer wants tenancy agreement

cairojones

I've been renting a house to a woman for 6 months. She's been a great tenant, always pays the rent, keeps the house clean, never complains about anything, gets on with the neighbours, absolutely no problem. When I agreed to rent the house to her (privately) I told her I wanted a long-term tenant and she said she would be staying long-term and had no intentions of moving for the forseeable future.

Now the 6 month contract has ended and I want her to sign another one but she is saying that she would rather stay in the house on a month by month basis. She says she still wants to stay on long-term and I don't want to lose her as a tenant but I don't know what rights we both have if I continue to accept rent from her without an agreement.

Can anybody enlighten me please?

You do not require another AST contract and you cannot force the Tenant to sign another long term contract if they don't wish to.

You either accept her offer of month by month tenancy... and she sounds like a very good tenant, or you give her the 2 months notice to quit and seek for a longer term tenant. Your decision. Personally I would leave things alone but be careful of the dead zone in January! very few tenancies start then and you could end up with a void, no rental income period.

Mel.

Archived