Problem with a dog!

plym77

Hi all

Wondered if you could help!

I live in Northern Ireland and my flat is in the South West. Basically I have had the same tenants for 2 or 3 years. It was stipulated in their contract that they should not have any pets. I visited the flat about 10 months in and found that they had a young dog. I was not happy but was assured by them that they would rectify any damage that the dog may cause. They pleaded to my soft side allowed them to keep the dog.

New owners moved to the upstairs about 18 months ago and have contacted me on several occasions to complain about the dog and the communal area outside of the property.

On each occasion I contacted my tenants who assured me that it had been or was about to be cleaned up and that its not very often it happens. I took their word for it. I also agreed to the upstairs temporarily blocking off part of the yard area from the dog.

I then received an email from the owners upstairs to say that they had had enough and were reporting the tenants to envirmonmental health due to dog mess. This was followed by a letter address to my tenants (copied to me) from env health, warning of a £5k fine if not kept clean. I subsequently send another letter to my tenants stating that I was now very unhappy with the situation and they were to contact me immediately. I spoke to them and I have told them that they have one week to discuss the issue of the dog and seriously consider whether the best option is to get rid of it.

They should be contacting me over over the next few days.

In the current market I dont want to evict them if i can help it. Not sure what to do next

If anyone has any guidance or advice I would appreciate it. particularly: should i inform upstairs of my discussion with the tenant since the issue was raised by them, so that they know i am trying to resolve it or wait until i know what the position is. can be liable to the fine? what are my next steps?

bit of a dilema. any advice appreciated

thanks

You have acted and have done everything possible that you can do.

Your Tenants will face the fine....not you.....this should sharpen them up as to the seriousness of the situation they now face.

The other people are right to complain as I would too and be seriously hacked off by their behaviour of not clearing up after their dog in any communal area. I would contact these people and indicate what you have done by way of resolving the problem.

Mel.

Hi,

I agree with what Mel says and I am sure this was a shock to you

but I am worried for the welfare of the dog.

Obviously these tenants are incapable of looking after it properly so should you not call in the RSPCA/NCDL or equivalent to advise and maybe re-home the animal? It may be a refief to the tenants to get the dog off their hands, they may stay and be happy.

Hopefully the outcome for the dog will be likewise.

Mortitia

thanks for your advice. I should be hearing from the tenants this weekend... hopefully to give up the dog!

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for your advice. I should be hearing from the tenants this weekend... hopefully to give up the dog!

A dog is for life ...not xmas

If T not cleaning up after dog then prob not cleaning up after themselves....S21 ...bye !

Last dog I allowed did £1200 of damage ...now policy is simple ...NO DOGS in fact NO PETS ...i will allow goldfish at a push tho.

The Rodent

I'd threaten to bump the rent up a bit and get a contract cleaning company in to clear up. They'll soon start doing it!!

I have now spoken with the tenants and they have agreed to get rid of the dog.

will be following it up with them and once gone, I will be talking to them about rectifying damage caused!

Archived