Excessively high bills HMO

Nathalie

Hi,

I rent out a HMO and the rent is inclusive of bills. I have just received an extremely (putting it mildly) high gas bill, I'm talking about a £900 increase on this time last year. Sadly it looks correct also, although I'm getting the energy company to investigate it. Even if it was half this amount I would be seriously seriously concerned.

I know my tenants aren't the most prudent when it comes to energy usage, I often find the central heating on full blast during the summer. Today, which is relatively warm was on full blast.

So I've decided to write them a note telling them to watch their energy usage, that they can expect a rent review this year (for those who have been living there more than a year which is covered in their AST) and that I will be locking the heating panel so that the heating is off for the summer (not the hot water obviously).

My question is, where do I stand on this last bit? Can I lock the panel? I am after all paying the bills, their rent doesn't even begin to cover this excessive usage, but then again the law is not always reasonable when it comes to landlords. Any advice appreciated.

Nathalie

Hi Nathalie,

A great question and a common problem for landlords who run HMOs.

I have disconnected the Immersion Heater from the mains (because the tenants kept switching it on even though the gas central heating provides hot water) and I have also secured (boxed in with lock and key) the heating controls.

I agree that HMO tenants tend to have the heating on "full blast" and all the windows open (to keep the place cool) and have little respect or thought for the

energy bills (because they aren't paying them).

I don't want to see my tenants cold or without hot water. I visit the property daily and adjust the heating controls depending on the season and the weather.

I know of one landlord who had the entire combination boiler boxed in, chubb locked and padlocked so that the tenants couldn't access the controls.

No point running HMOs if the tenants are going to squander all the profit on heating bill !

Mark

Exactly! Well I have told them that there WILL be a rent review and rent increases this year, if thats not enough to make them think twice then maybe they will when they see how much I have to increase their rent just to cover this one bill.

I'm considering putting a cap on how much I pay towards their bills, probably based on kilowatt hours and how much the average 6 person household uses. Though it will be a pain to have to chase extra money when they go over.

Definitely considering the lock and key method, setting minimum temperatures like 12c at night, 18c during day and 21c in evening then locking it! I take it this is legal as long as they get their heating? I have been told switching the heating off over the summer is illegal... no surprise I guess. :rolleyes:

Hi Nathalie,

It is perfectly legal to secure the heating as long as your tenants are not cold. I have had my local Council and Environmental Health Officers inspect all of my

HMOs recently and as long as the tenant have sufficient heating and hot water .... it is perfectly acceptable to secure the controls.

Good Luck,

Mark

Archived