Signing a lease

johnb

I wondered if I could ask the advice of some landlords.

My girlfriend and I have taken a new flat and have paid the agency fee to an estate agent acting as the deposit.

On May 5th we move into the flat. No problems. The only issue is that my girlfriend is abroad until May 24th.

My question: Can I sign the lease on the 5th May as I will be the only person living there and then as soon as my girlfriend is back she also signs the lease. On the first day I will be putting down one months rent and one months deposit in cash.

Any help would be great.

Personally speaking I would be happy with that arrangement so I would consider the LA would be happy to do it.

Your deposit and rent has been paid up front and signature on the contract so as long as it was agreed that your girlfriends signature was in place asap then fine.

Mel.

Thanks Mel - that is really useful.

I guess Estate Agents must get this scenario relatively often with people being away at the time of move in.

Only issue I could think of is that my girlfriend will not be around to sign her DD form for the rent, but I could sign a DD for the whole amount initially so I am sure there is a solution there too.

Archived