Change Of Occupancy

Karren S

Hi, I have a 3 bedroom furnished house in immaculate condition that I've rented for the last 2.5 years to 3 people from work on a short term agreement renewed 6 monthly. It was rented to a couple and a friend of theirs but the couple have split up and the two remaining tenants have asked if I would convert the front room into another bedroom and find another tenant so they can afford to stay. They have been good tenants but i'm not convinced this is the right thing to do as it then changes the dynamics of the house from a 3 bed house to multiple letting or am I being precious about this? If i start renting the front room are there aditional things I need to do for H&S reasons ( there's smoke detectors in every room and lower and upper landings apart from the bathrooms ) Also I'm sure there's a clause in the mortgage offer to say the property can't be used for multiple lets ( but not 100% sure ). My gut feeling is to say no as I don't want the property to turn into a student let as such but as I said I may not be looking at this in the right way !

Looking at the other properties in the area I'm charging approx £100 less but I was happy as the property was being well maintained and all the bills etc paid on time.

Any advice much appreciated

Hi there,

My advice would be to go with your gut feeling. You are letting the tenants run the show and that is not wise.

It could be that the departure of the one will disrupt the whole set up anyway and you will be stuck getting new tenants for separate rooms constantly. What happens if the 2 existing don't get on with the newcomer? It will be all your fault and it seems from what you write that keeping the rent paid may be an issue just with 2. Don't go there.

Bite the bullit give them notice and rent out to carefully selected newcomers at a new, correct rent.

Some good things just have to come to an end and the new tenants may be just as successful.

Good Luck

Mortitia

keep things as they are......do not allow your Tenants to rule your head.

They will either stay and accept the fact that their rent is very reasonable or move on which will allow you re-rent your property at a more acceptable market rate.

Mel.

Hi there,

My advice would be to go with your gut feeling. You are letting the tenants run the show and that is not wise.

It could be that the departure of the one will disrupt the whole set up anyway and you will be stuck getting new tenants for separate rooms constantly. What happens if the 2 existing don't get on with the newcomer? It will be all your fault and it seems from what you write that keeping the rent paid may be an issue just with 2. Don't go there.

Bite the bullit give them notice and rent out to carefully selected newcomers at a new, correct rent.

Some good things just have to come to an end and the new tenants may be just as successful.

Good Luck

Mortitia

Many thanks . Mortitia ive read your other responses and you give good recomendations. I've gone back to the tenants and told them I'm not prepared to alter anything so they're making a decision whether to stay or leave at the end of their tenancy agreement.

Archived