renew tenant agreement

simonx3p

Hi to all,

I have agent find me tenant from DSS since 2 year ago it seen all they do is renew tenant agreement once every year (easy money).

Now due to cutting cost (higher remortgage cost), I have not renew tenant agreement with agent, I don’t want to use agent but want deal direct with tenant in which the LA are paying rent direct to me.

Now the agent found out that from LA the tenant is still in the house and they demand that I pay their renew fees.

My question do agents have the right to do this?

Hi Simon,

If you think managing a DSS tenancy is "easy money" then I think you are going to be in for quite a shock and you have been mis-advised.

Dealing with the Council, Dealing with the Benefit Office, Dealing with the DSS tenant and managing all the extra tenancy issues that this mix of people generates might seem "easy money" when things are going smoothly but, to be honest, when your tenant's claim gets suspended and their income support gets cancelled and you are struggling to talk with anyone sensible at the Council and you find it impossible to talk with the right people at the Benefit office so that the claim gets put back into payment etc etc etc ..... nothing can be further from the truth!!!!

I agree that letting agents have an easier time with working tenants ..... but the DSS need lots of careful management and attention. How do I know?

Well I manage over 200 DSS tenancies at the moment and I employ 5 people to keep on top of all the issues (other letting agents who only manage professional tenancies would have 2 members of staff for the same number of properties).

With regard to "cutting out the letting agency" - of course you can terminate with them and go directly to the Council ...... but I am not sure this is a wise move based on my DSS tenant experience!

Mark

I agree with Trenners, DSS tenants are far from easy to manage, as it can be difficult to track any dss claim / tenant info, due to council not freely disclosing information.

If you want to go it alone with no letting agent, it is far easier to let out to a professional tenant (making sure you do all the right reference / financial checks first).

I once had a DSS tenant and managed the property myself (a learning kerb), there are all sorts of potential pitfalls which can happen, so I wouldn't advise going it alone with a DSS tenant until you gain some experience first.

I personally, would only take on DSS if a professional tenant(s) gets laid off (AND they are very good tenant(s)

Hi

You ask whether the agents are entitled to ask for tenancy renewal fees, the answer should be found in your agreement, what does it say? Did you terminate the agency agreement correctly? If you didn't, he is most probably entitled to his fee.

I would agree with the advice previously given

Gee

Hi to all,

I have agent find me tenant from DSS since 2 year ago it seen all they do is renew tenant agreement once every year (easy money).

Now due to cutting cost (higher remortgage cost), I have not renew tenant agreement with agent, I don't want to use agent but want deal direct with tenant in which the LA are paying rent direct to me.

Now the agent found out that from LA the tenant is still in the house and they demand that I pay their renew fees.

My question do agents have the right to do this?

Hi

You ask whether the agents are entitled to ask for tenancy renewal fees, the answer should be found in your agreement, what does it say? Did you terminate the agency agreement correctly? If you didn't, he is most probably entitled to his fee.

I would agree with the advice previously given

Gee

Hi Gee,

I've check tenant agreement can't find any thing relate to this!

Advice what are the proper way to terminate agent agreement?

Simon

Hi

I wanted you to check the agency agreement not the tenancy agreement. Do you have a written agreement with the agent? What have you done to terminate the agreement with the agent?

Gee

Hi

I wanted you to check the agency agreement not the tenancy agreement. Do you have a written agreement with the agent? What have you done to terminate the agreement with the agent?

Gee

Hi,

I have check agency agreement nothing state ongoing tenant.

I phone them to cancelled renew.

Simon

Simon

I was hoping for more information. Might I suggest (again) that you carefully read your Agency agreement, check what it says regarding the termination of the Agency agreement. If you complied with the terms correctly when terminating the agreement, then it is likely that Agent is not entitled to the renewal fees. However you must remember that we have not seen a copy of your agreement, we do not know what other terms and conditions are in the agreement.

To be honest, since you appear to be struggling at this early point, I think you should reconsider and go back to using the Agent before you get yourself into legal difficulties managing the tenancy yourself.

Gee

Archived