Help needed to source a Landlord electrical safety certificate

numberthreedaughter

Hi,

I am in the process of renting out my property as im ill and have had to move back into the parents. :D

I am doing it through a company who have said i need to get the gas and electricity tested. They said it's not a legal requirement but their requirement for letting properties. I had a friend who's an electrician carry out the work but he has never heard of the LANDLORD ELELECTRICAL SAFETY CERTIFICATE. I have told the letting company that the work has been done but they insist i has to be on this specific certificate. I also told them i cant afford to get them to get an electrician to do the work again just for that certificate as i cant afford it.

Can anyone help me source this form? Or any other advice on the matter.

Thanks

The Gas Ceritificate is a legal requirement......heavy penalties and fines if you let a property without one.

The electrical safety certificate is not a mandatory reuirement by law.... yet..... however, you will need a certificate for any portable electrical equipment you leave behind for the Tenant. You would be wise to have your property electrically certified as "Safe" Nearly all rental agencies insist on an electrical safety certificate.

You don't mention it but an EPC Certificate is also mandatory now for all rental properties as from October 1st 2008.

Welcome to the World of being a Landlord.

Mel.

The best way would be to get the letting agent to send an electrician of their choice round to check the work. If it has been carried out ok you should only be paying for a quick inspection. Otherwise, are you commited to using that agent or is there another one around that isn't so picky ?

I'm having to get another electrician around today to do the work again so it's costing me another £65 just so i can get the certificate. I wont be using the 1st electrician in a hurry again :D

The best way would be to get the letting agent to send an electrician of their choice round to check the work. If it has been carried out ok you should only be paying for a quick inspection. Otherwise, are you commited to using that agent or is there another one around that isn't so picky ?

there is no such thing as an LANDLORD ELELECTRICAL SAFETY CERTIFICATE.

there is a periodic inspection report, which is a detailed inspection.

there is also a domestic visual condition report which is a very basic report thats not worth the paper its written on.

your first electrician is probably a spot on and wouldn't put his name to a visual report, (i wouldn't) the second is getting £65 for 10 mins work!!

russ.

is it the law to have an electical check?

Not yet...... but probably will be before much longer.

The point is if you have a Tenanted property it is in your interest to show and prove that your house electrics have passed a safety test for the property installation especially wiring and circuit boxes etc.

It is a legal requirement to have all portable appliances safety tested ie washing machines, dryers etc etc......anything can be removed from the property.

Mel.

is it the law to have an electical check?

Hi

Strictly speaking no. The legal obligation is that the landlord must ensure that at the point of letting the electrical installation in the property is safe. The NICEIC recommend that this requires a full inspection on a 5 yearly basis (more frequently if recommended by the inspecting electrician). There are also recommendaitons with regard to visual inspections and checks on a more regular basis, usually between lettings. Google NICEIC and you will find lots more information.

If you can demonstrate that everything is safe without these inspections, then you dont need to do them. The reality is that most people wouldnt be able to prove this, though, if ever we were challenged, following, for example, an electrical accident, without an inspection report.

Preston

Archived