refuses to pay rent increase

gaz3845

hi all

i have a tenant who refuses to pay a rent increase he as just signed a new 6 month ast with the agreed rent increase on it

i also served him with notice of rent increase 2 months before ast was due for renewal to let him know the new ast would be including a higher rent

he as been in the property 2 yrs and his rent as never been increased from the original he did agree to pay a £40 increase but now says he can not afford it is original rent was £400 per month

i would be grateful if anyone could tell me what if anything i can do about this legally

gaz

Well, legally he has to pay it as he knew what he was signing up for.

How do you enforce the rent increase? Then that is going to be another issue.

Mel.

I agree with Sparky - you speak with them direct and put your case forward for the increase.

They may have signed a contract with it on but enforcing it legally is going to be very difficult. Especially as they think that you are now paying buckets less interest on your BTL mortgage, but they don't know whether you are on a tracker or not, or even if you have a mortgage on it! That's not the point.

Go armed with comparatives for other similar properties, to prove that your rent is fair. If they don't think so, then you need to make a choice, agree an early termination and get a tenant in there willing to pay the new rent, or accept that you are not going to see this £240 for the next six months.

Issue a section 21b now so that you are indicating that you want them to leave at the end of the fixed term.

not easy to resolve without cooperation of the tenant.

thanks for advice everyone the subject as now been resolved and the tenant as at last seen sense and agreed to pay rent increase (he now realises he cannot get another property of the same type in the area he is living in now for the rent i charge) RESULT at last one for the landlords

Archived