Finding a tenant

steve198

I was having real trouble finding a tenant and found this service called "tenant finder" service, thought others should know! they advertise on rightmove, findaproperty, primelocation and loads of other sites for 55 quid, I only paid 48 though as I used this voucher urban10 (shouldn't pass it on but never mind!)

Sorry, but you are advertising yet another online service which is just one of thousands available out there and your catchment area is not National but London area plus Bath.

Why pay money up-front when nearly all Agents have a no find-no fee?

Mel.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not adveritising, I am a private landlord who rented my flat in Norwich in days though urbansalesandlettings.co.uk, and yes I had to pay £50 upfront but the agents wanted 8 % +vat of my years rent, surely the risk of £50 upfront out weights the cost of potenially £1000's in commission? most agents just get their tenants from rightmove and findaprop anyway??? surely this makes sense or is it just me!!!? ???

There are other sites as well who do this such as webresidential.co.uk or Quick lets - not sure of their website..

I thought a forum was a place to share such information. sorry.

Another option, would be to advertise for free (gumtree.co.uk) and manage a property yourself, like I do

Hi

Is it just me, or do others get a lot of scammers contacting them through Gumtree? I get lots starting with something like " .... I'm a professor of linguistics from the University of Kinshasa and my beautiful daughter needs a caring helpful landlord to look after her .... please send me more details of the rent and location"

Of course, rent and location are always in the original advert.

Preston

Yes I agree with Preston, when using gumtree.co.uk it is wise not to give out any personal information.

In my original advert, I only give out my email address (not phone number) and the town name where the property is (not actual address).

As I too have had scammers contact me, similar to scamming techniques mentioned by Preston, mostly stories from Nigerians with a child attending a UK university and will pay me 6 months money upfront if I give them my bank details.

I gauge each reply to my advert on it's own merit. For instance if a prospective tenant replies to me: "house how much" I will dismiss them, as I expect a reply to be formal and polite, just like the tenant that I am looking for.

Once I've whittled down the tenants that sound appropriate, I then bounce a few emails back and forth, asking a few questions along the way. Then if they still sound appropriate I disclose the actual address and arrange back-to-back viewings one afternoon. That way, if someone doesn't turn-up I haven't wasted my time.

I agree with you both! I used gumtree for years and had enough of scammers and timewasters! Now my properties are on rightmove and find a property through urbansalesandlettings at 50 quid a pop! it just makes the process quicker and easier and you can put your rents on slighly more than you would using gumtree! Hope this helps guys!

Yes I agree with Preston, when using gumtree.co.uk it is wise not to give out any personal information.

In my original advert, I only give out my email address (not phone number) and the town name where the property is (not actual address).

As I too have had scammers contact me, similar to scamming techniques mentioned by Preston, mostly stories from Nigerians with a child attending a UK university and will pay me 6 months money upfront if I give them my bank details.

I gauge each reply to my advert on it's own merit. For instance if a prospective tenant replies to me: "house how much" I will dismiss them, as I expect a reply to be formal and polite, just like the tenant that I am looking for.

Once I've whittled down the tenants that sound appropriate, I then bounce a few emails back and forth, asking a few questions along the way. Then if they still sound appropriate I disclose the actual address and arrange back-to-back viewings one afternoon. That way, if someone doesn't turn-up I haven't wasted my time.

I think the best way to find a tenant is cover all bases. Set up a email address like myflattorent@hotmail.com and post on gumtree.com, you will get scammers and spam so just accept it, you will also get a few leads and may be lucky... In addition to that I also use the internet agents who use rightmove findaproperty etc , like urbansalesandlettings.co.uk or one of the others quick let etc , ok its 50 quid but then an ad in the paper is that these days.. You get most of the web covered for that, and i have always let my flats that way...

• 2 weeks later...
i am looking for a property to rent in stockport manchester can anyone help please

Here you go.....good place to start followed by the local newspaper/freeads if you can't find anything on this posted website below.

http://rent-let.vivastreet.co.uk/rent-flat...house+stockport

Mel.

• 2 weeks later...
Another option, would be to advertise for free (gumtree.co.uk) and manage a property yourself, like I do

Exactly - can't remember how much Gumtree was, but I got about three good quality tenants from that site and manage the property myself. I'd highly recommend the site if you haven't tried it.

Exactly - can't remember how much Gumtree was, but I got about three good quality tenants from that site and manage the property myself. I'd highly recommend the site if you haven't tried it.

There are numerous other sites incidently! I'm sure you're already aware of this

• 8 months later...

I dont know why landlords bother with these third party agents posting them on sites like Rightmove etc. I've always done my own advertising through reputable companies. One Ive found recently and had a really great response from is a relatively new property portal called Ezylet. I found this article on them I thought was very relevent to all landlords and makes a very valid point. The Ezylet is really clean and functional for both landlords and tenants. Definitely worth a look!

Ezylet – The Letting portal by landlords, for landlords.

Ezylet is an easy to use property portal with the focus on providing a unique, clear-cut and dynamic way for landlords to advertise to-let-properties without paying exorbitant fees to websites like Rightmove, Findaproperty.com and Prime Location where their main focal point and most significant traffic is directed at selling property rather than renting property.

Ezylet is breaking the typical mould set by portals like Rightmove and Findaproperty.com by doing a number of things differently.

Ezylet are a free-to-market Property Portal focused solely on lettings.

Managing Director, Paul Foy, saw a major gap in the market for landlords, as providers such as Rightmove and Findaproperty.com are solely for Estate Agents to advertise and do not provide a service to landlords.

Currently, for a landlord to post their ads on these sites they are forced to pay considerable fees to third-party agents, ranging from £50 - £150 for one to three months of advertisement. Ezylet is subsequently filling this gap, offering landlords an alternative by giving them the ability to advertise and list their properties for free. Ezylet only charge a one-off fee of £29.99 per premium listing until the property is let.

https://www.ezylet.com/pages/index/home_landlords

Private Landlord - Owner of 5 properties in London.

Hope this helps! :unsure:

Archived