How to get money back from Agent if they are bankrupt?

CH1

A few months ago I posted on here (can't find it now as its more than 2 months old) so looked like its deleted so will post the topic again.

A few months ago I bought a house with tenants from a LA who is also an estate agent and who also owned the property. Accidentally my tenants paid them the rent and for the last 6 months I have been chasing them to return this rent. After 3 months of getting no where I used a non-local DC at the suggestion of someone here -that too came back fruitless they did not respond or pay the demand. They told a pack of lies to start with that they are paying or cheque has been sent etc but it never was and even fobbed off the DC. In the end DC said the only way to get the money would be thru' the courts. However, recently they have conveniently claimed themselves as bankrupt and have sent a letter to that effect. So what happens here? is my debt with the company or them as individuals from whom I bought the property off - who unlawfully kept monies that did not belong to them and failed to return it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

A few months ago I posted on here (can't find it now as its more than 2 months old) so looked like its deleted so will post the topic again.

A few months ago I bought a house with tenants from a LA who is also an estate agent and who also owned the property. Accidentally my tenants paid them the rent and for the last 6 months I have been chasing them to return this rent. After 3 months of getting no where I used a non-local DC at the suggestion of someone here -that too came back fruitless they did not respond or pay the demand. They told a pack of lies to start with that they are paying or cheque has been sent etc but it never was and even fobbed off the DC. In the end DC said the only way to get the money would be thru' the courts. However, recently they have conveniently claimed themselves as bankrupt and have sent a letter to that effect. So what happens here? is my debt with the company or them as individuals from whom I bought the property off - who unlawfully kept monies that did not belong to them and failed to return it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi CH1

Will depend on wether ltd co or individual held prop ...and which entity has actually gone bancrupt.

Bancruptcy in itself does not mean that you cannot recover the funds. With suitable motivation i am sure i would pay a debt !

The Rodent

• 3 weeks later...
Hi CH1

Will depend on wether ltd co or individual held prop ...and which entity has actually gone bancrupt.

Bancruptcy in itself does not mean that you cannot recover the funds. With suitable motivation i am sure i would pay a debt !

The Rodent

The company is still listed on Companies House as a Ltd Co. and this is what I found:

Date of Incorporation: xx/xx/2006

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7032 - Manage real estate, fee or contract

Accounting Reference Date: xx/03

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2007 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2009

Last Return Made Up To: 14/03/2007

Next Return Due: 11/04/2008 OVERDUE

Last Members List: xx/xx/2007

So they are still active. However, I bought the property from them i.e in the personal names so surely they should still owe me that money irrespective of how their businesses are doing.

They owe my money since 7 months I should add interest to that, what's my best option to try and get this money? Thru' courts? or use local DC? (last DC I used was from Wales) any help or advice appreciated.

You need to check if the company has gone into liquidation or not. The information you have above is not up to date quite possibly.

If it has then your chances of getting your money back is virtually zilcho as they are private Ltd. company......you can't sue for personal assets.

Mel.

Archived