rent increase

gaz3845

hi

could anyone advise me on how much notice i need to give tenant to increase rent

(also how much i am allowed to increase by)

i am currently running at a lose on 1 of my houses its a three bed semi large gardens and conservatory

in south yorkshire the tenat as been in since may 2007 on a 6 month ast

he's paying £400 a month rent and im paying £439! mortgage

any advice would be appreciated

ps tenant was declared bankrupt about 2 months ago will this make any difference to any rent increase

gaz3845

You have the makings of an ongoing problem especially with a declared bankrupt in your property. He won't put you on his Christmas card list for raising his rent at a time that he just doesn't need anymore financial hassle loaded onto him.

You can try for a rent increase but my guess is he will either move out or at worse not pay the increase or even worse sit tight and not pay and wait for eviction. Remember in this Country everything is loaded against the Landlord and everything favours the Tenant.

Personally I would like to see him go and this would enable you to re-rent to somone on a better financial footing at a more realistic rental income, how you could go about this is up to you.

Mel.

You have the makings of an ongoing problem especially with a declared bankrupt in your property. He won't put you on his Christmas card list for raising his rent at a time that he just doesn't need anymore financial hassle loaded onto him.

You can try for a rent increase but my guess is he will either move out or at worse not pay the increase or even worse sit tight and not pay and wait for eviction. Remember in this Country everything is loaded against the Landlord and everything favours the Tenant.

Personally I would like to see him go and this would enable you to re-rent to somone on a better financial footing at a more realistic rental income, how you could go about this is up to you.

Mel.

thanks for the advice mel not sure its what i wanted to here but best to ask for advice anyway

gaz

Have a chat with T ...get a reaction to rent rise (which is never enthusiastic!!)

Then he has a choice ...pay new rent OR live somewhere he can afford ........

The Rodent

think that sounds like good advice thank you ill try that just hope theres no legal reason why i cant increase t rent as there sems to be legal reason for everything else in the t's favour

Yes,now a days ,we are facing a lot of problems by tenants.They won't agree for increase in rent and want all the facilities in house.This is going to be rediculous.But according to law,we can make any changes in increase in rent of our houses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brettlee

Foreclosure Auctions

Hi

Dont worry, there is no legal reason why you cant increase the rent (unless your tenancy agreement says otherwise). You probably have three main options:

a) offer him a new AST on a higher rent. He can accept or reject, but if he says no you can issue him with notice if you wish

:o a little easier is to issue him a "section 13" notice of rent increase. If he wants to stay, he has to pay the increase. Again, if he doesnt you can issue him with notice to leave.

c) if your tenancy agreement includes a rent increase clause, you can increase the rent in line with that clause. From what you have said, it sounds that this isnt the case.

You can find section 13 notices on line - just type it into google.

The notice to leave referred to above is a section 21 notice (again look on google for details, but come back if you cant find anything).

And the fact that he is bankrupt shouldnt legally affect your ability to do any of the above, including giving him a new tenancy - although it may of course affect his abiility to pay!

Good luck

Archived