Blocks of flats

Mortitia

Hi all,

I own 1 in a block of 4 purpose built flats. I am secretary of the management company and we all own a section of the freehold. Each flat has a different owner and one is a commercial landlord. The owner of an upper floor flat, new to renting is refusing to get a gas safety cert. (she is renting to her daughter and another).

My gas person did attend the flat as requested by the owner but when I asked him if he supplied a cert. he told me that the boiler was in the roof and could not be accessed!! This was amazing news to me. Apparantly there has to be a walkway to the boiler and at the moment he would have to crawl along the rafters to reach it. His answer was to fit a new combi boiler in a cupboard in the flat - the owner obviously does not want to fork out for that so has now denied she is renting out. She is fibbing.

The dilema is the insurance on the block is negated if landlords do not have gas certs. How can I make her sort this out responsibly(which I have pointed out in writing). She seems to be anti-authority and seems to think this does not matter.

Any sensible ideas gratefully received.

Mortitia

Just to clear up the legals.........

Loft mounted boilers.

1 Access ladder must be fitted.

2 Boarded floor to access boiler for inspection.....no rafter jumping!

3 Safety hand rail around loft opening.

4 Fully installed lighting in loft to see where you are going.......no hand lamps etc.

It is illegal, punished by a fine, for any Landlord to rent to any Tenant a property whereby the gas appliances have not been inspected by a CORGI Registered heating engineer and a certificate issued for safety compliance.

Your CORGI engineer should have issued a "close down" warning notice and shut the gas off for non compliance.

Inform your local trading standards and they will inform Landlord to adhere to the Gas law for Landlords/Tenants or face court proceedings.

Mel.

Thanks Mel and Rodent,

That seems pretty comprehensive.

I am hoping that the list of 'legals' will make her jump into action and I will keep them in my diary for further use. I didn't know trading standards enforced this - you learn something new everyday!

Mortitia

Archived