Gas certificates

F-Prop

Hi there,

Just wanting peoples experiences on this one... how long should a gas certificate take to complete? (based on three standard appliances hob, boiler and fire)

I ask because for years now I have had them done by the same guy who did three appliances in under an hour, sadly he's retired now and this new guy is taking about 3 hours ;o(

We've got 8 properties to do, and we've been on it all week with still 2 to go, normally it would be done in a day and a half.

Thankfully I think he's charging about the same as the previous guy so at least he's not charging by the hour!

Was my first guy just super quick, or it this guy super slow :(

Any ideas of how long it takes you guys would be helpful!

Thanks,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

That does seem a long time but if he is on a set price why worry? Mine would take about 45mins-1 hour for that lot including time to drink tea! This guy may be much more thorough that previous bloke and/or may speed up with experience.

The exams they take to get the accreditation for this work are very time consuming and costly and the responsibility factor is high. If you don't like him try another one.

Mortitia

Good job he doesn't work for us :(

Yes, there is responsability in certifying gas work and it is a serious job but a professional accredited gas engineer should not take that long.

I would check he is not on day price work if I was you.

Mel.

THREE HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guy did a block of 5 houses for me in less than that.

I'd be double checking the final invoice if I were you!

Thanks guys,

Yes I thought less than an hour would be the norm. I'll await the final invoice, but he's promised to match my previous guy's price of £50 per certificate.

I think the main difference is with the gas fire. He's fully removing them and cleaning behind. (although he says it's not a full service) Same goes for the boiler. He's removing the covers and removing the burners etc. I'm not CORGI registered and it's not really my place to comment... but I know these things have never been done before.

Anyway, if the price stays the same then I guess I shouldn't complain. He's giving them a good service too which can only help in the long run.

We've finally done all 8.... and it only took 6 days :( although there was a problem with one gas fire which took a bit to sort. Now I can get back to the day job... property renovations :D

I'll let you know if he keeps his promise on the price! :P

Regards

Trevor.

Usually about 2 hours for boiler, hob and gas fire - and no tea break.

Mine is done in June -July when the fire has not been in use. For the CO and smoke test it is necessary to warm up the fire and chimney fullblast for about 15 minutes or more to get the correct conditions.

Thanks guys,

Yes I thought less than an hour would be the norm. I'll await the final invoice, but he's promised to match my previous guy's price of £50 per certificate.

I think the main difference is with the gas fire. He's fully removing them and cleaning behind. (although he says it's not a full service) Same goes for the boiler. He's removing the covers and removing the burners etc. I'm not CORGI registered and it's not really my place to comment... but I know these things have never been done before.

Anyway, if the price stays the same then I guess I shouldn't complain. He's giving them a good service too which can only help in the long run.

We've finally done all 8.... and it only took 6 days :( although there was a problem with one gas fire which took a bit to sort. Now I can get back to the day job... property renovations :D

I'll let you know if he keeps his promise on the price! :P

Regards

Trevor.

He is actually doing a proper job by stripping and cleaning and inspecting and then issuing a certificate which is the correct way to do it and the way we do it rather than just a visual inspection and CO check.

So full marks to him but I am not sure whether his job pricing is correct so don't tell him and always have his telephone number handy. ;)

Mel.

Well I've had the bill now and.... he's charging even LESS that he said he would, and less than the previous guy charged! :o

So ok it's taking 3 hours instead of 45 mins, but it's £10 less and I'm getting more done!

I'm one happy customer... anyone want his number? :lol::D

Trevor.

Has he got his CORGI Registration number on his invoice?

If he has, then just carry out a quick cursory check with CORGI to make sure he is registered and if he hasn't got his registration number visble then I can tell you it is a mandatory requirement under the Gas Installation Laws when undertaking gas work.

Mel.

http://www.trustcorgi.com/Pages/index.html

Whilst we are talking about Gas Work have a look at the recent business's that have been struck off. Around 300 a year are removed from the register for a whole variety of reasons but the main one is bad workmanship or dangerous fitting of appliances and any one stupid enough to carry on without a CORGI certificate faces a real jail sentence and a heavy fine and believe me it happens quite regularly.

When an installer is reported as potentially unsafe CORGI investigates and if necessary will remove an installer from the register:

1st Alert, Blackpool

3 Heat Services, London

A A Plumbing and Heating

Ace Maintenance, Reading

Alan Thompson Plumbers, Oldham

Barry Clark Heating, Retford

Brian Edward Smith

Centra Heat Gas Services, Bolton

CFT Gas Engineer, Sheffield

Chelsea Constructions Ltd

H20 Plumbing Services, Birmingham

JSN Plumbing and Heating Limited, Batley