Letting Agent Level of Service

edp33

I have been renting out my property for just over a year now and my tenants have been very good. However the letting agent regularly forgets to return calls, an email I sent two weeks ago didn't receive an acknowledgement of being received let alone a reply and again I had to follow it up.

Checking my bank statement, my rent for this month was reduced by £130, the agent hasn't been in touch to explain it. So again I had to chase them up. On contacting the agent they stated that it was for Gas Servicing and the fitting of two smoke alarms (costing £33!) which has been automatically deducted. The monthly payments are regularly late, though the tenant pays the rent on the 1st of the month the agent doesn't transfer this into my account until 10-15 days later. Stupidly I signed a contract stating that I would accept it may take up to 10 days (it seems the average is 5 or less?)

I guess it is a bit of a rant, but I would be interested to know what the level of service is like from your letting agents.

Well, for starters I wouldn't accept that standard or level of service from my letting agent and they would very soon be aware of my disatisfaction.

A case of shape-up or ship-out and only you can sort this problem out even if it means a personal visit.

Bill him for interest ...give 21 to pay or DC letter .....or as Mel says Bxxxx well shape up or ship out .......

As for level of service ...only ever use them for T find ...on my terms with: my contract, my referencing, my inventory etc ...basically i only trust them to FIND only then i take over !!!!!

The Rodent

I have been renting out my property for just over a year now and my tenants have been very good. However the letting agent regularly forgets to return calls, an email I sent two weeks ago didn't receive an acknowledgement of being received let alone a reply and again I had to follow it up.

Checking my bank statement, my rent for this month was reduced by £130, the agent hasn't been in touch to explain it. So again I had to chase them up. On contacting the agent they stated that it was for Gas Servicing and the fitting of two smoke alarms (costing £33!) which has been automatically deducted. The monthly payments are regularly late, though the tenant pays the rent on the 1st of the month the agent doesn't transfer this into my account until 10-15 days later. Stupidly I signed a contract stating that I would accept it may take up to 10 days (it seems the average is 5 or less?)

I guess it is a bit of a rant, but I would be interested to know what the level of service is like from your letting agents.

Hi Flowerpower! I understand your frustration! I'm a landlord, too, and have managed my own properties, but know that sometimes this just isn't an option. That's the reason I've become an agent for a new group called Ahujalets. We have solved all the problems you quote in your post, because we insure that you always stay in control. For example, we don't handle your rent money... so you don't find any surprise deductions at the end of the month. We offer an 'alla carte' service, and can do all the jobs you hate or don't have time for on a 'pay per task' basis. After we've carried out the work you request, we simply invoice you for each job, so if your tenants don't give you any trouble and you don't need us, you can go for months without having anything to pay.

Speaking of a rant, 'hope this doesn't come over as a bid for your business! Like us, there are other letting agents that work like we do... all you have to do is look for them.

I wish you much luck and happiness in your buy-to-let ventures, and if I can be of any service to you, you can reach me or one of my colleagues at www.ahujalets.co.uk. We cover most of the UK so there will be someone in your area to call on.

Thanks for the info Barbara. I will be moving into the house within the next 6 months so don't think I will be taking on another agent. I'm just wondering if it's worth sticking with my current agent until the end in case of any tenant problems or whether to go it alone

Thanks for the info Barbara. I will be moving into the house within the next 6 months so don't think I will be taking on another agent. I'm just wondering if it's worth sticking with my current agent until the end in case of any tenant problems or whether to go it alone

Dear FlowerPower,

First, you'd need to investigate the Terms and Conditions of the letting agent's contract you signed. If it's financially viable to leave them and go it alone, I would be very tempted because managing the property yourself shouldn't be too daunting. Provided your tenants haven't given you any problems so far, there's no reason to think they will in the future. In all probability, the most you'd need to do is meet up with them on moving day to go through the inventory, take the utility readings, hand back the deposit (which will be held by a Deposit Protection Scheme arranged through your letting agent) and take back the keys. If there is a dispute about witholding some of the deposit (due to damage caused by the tenants), the Deposit Protection Scheme has an arbitration service which will rule on the dispute, so even that is taken care of for you.

You said that you were moving back into the property in six months time. Another thing you'd need to do before the tenants leave is to issue them with a Section 21 notice to quit the property. You can download this form with instructions on how to issue it, from one of several websites dedicated to helping landlords (www.landlordzone.co.uk for instance).

If you run into problems, you can find me at abcdenicola@aol.com, and I'll be very happy to talk you through anything you might need to know.

Again, all the best. Kind regards, Barbara

Archived