Rent Increase

embery

Am I entitled to ask for a rent increase. The last time the rent was increased was in 2000, my mother was then the Landlort and lived on the property as well in top flat. The rent at the moment is £250 per month, but I keep getting told I have to get the permission of the tenant to raise the rent. I'm not asking for a lot, I was thinking £300 per month, which seems fair to me considering the rents paid in this area.

Can someone please help!!

Thanks

Sally

Hello Sally

You are perfectly entitled to raise the rent after 8 years especially if you feel the need to in view of what you have said about local renting charges.

You do not need the Tenants permission. Just the written word of your intentions to the the Tenant.

The rent should have been raised in stepped levels in the preceeding 8 years tbh as it is going to feel like a large rent rise for the current Tenant.

Mel.

Hi there,

I have just read in your reply to Meagain that your tenant is horrible to you. Why don't you ask them to vacate and start again with someone you choose. Is the tenant there on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)? If so you don't have to put up with their bad attitude.

Mortitia

name='Mortitia' date='Jul 18 2008, 06:41 AM' post='9957']

Hi there,

I have just read in your reply to Meagain that your tenant is horrible to you. Why don't you ask them to vacate and start again with someone you choose. Is the tenant there on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)? If so you don't have to put up with their bad attitude.

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...
Am I entitled to ask for a rent increase. The last time the rent was increased was in 2000, my mother was then the Landlort and lived on the property as well in top flat. The rent at the moment is £250 per month, but I keep getting told I have to get the permission of the tenant to raise the rent. I'm not asking for a lot, I was thinking £300 per month, which seems fair to me considering the rents paid in this area.

Can someone please help!!

Thanks

Sally

I had one tenant paying £280 for years and decided to increase their rent in line with my adjacent properties to £400. I realise this is quite an increase, as did the tenant but we also both knew she would get nothing of the like for less rent..SOOOOOOOOOOOO i told her of the increase and my intention to phase the increase over three equal monthly increments for her to get used to it or there again...move on..still there three years later !

Archived