Cleanliness of Flat

embery

My brother and I have recently inherited a property that is in two flats.

There is a tenant on the ground floor flat (my mother occupied the top flat, but that is now empty) He says he does not have to keep the place clean. When I pointed out to him that his flat was dirty he said its allowed.

I find this ridiculous, I would like to have the place cleaned and then checked every quarter, am I allowed to do this, I would obviously give him plenty of notice.

I am not an experienced landlord and any help would be much appreciated.

ThanksSally

My brother and I have recently inherited a property that is in two flats.

There is a tenant on the ground floor flat (my mother occupied the top flat, but that is now empty) He says he does not have to keep the place clean. When I pointed out to him that his flat was dirty he said its allowed.

I find this ridiculous, I would like to have the place cleaned and then checked every quarter, am I allowed to do this, I would obviously give him plenty of notice.

I am not an experienced landlord and any help would be much appreciated.

ThanksSally

Has he got a Tenancy agreement?

Has he got a Tenancy agreement?

Thanks for reply. No he has no tenancy agreement. He moved in in 1990 and my mother put nothing in writing except a very limited inventory and most of the items listed appear not to be there anymore.

Can I make him account for all items on list?

Regards

Sally

You have no tenancy agreement and cannot assess him by your standards. Unless advised by you otherwise, I'd suggest that most/all items missing from the inventory are worthless after 18 years, even if you had any hold over him with an agreement or inventory. Deposits aren't a new for old insurance policy.

If looking at this in terms of a cost-benefit analysis, based on the information provided, you're better off doing periodic checks to stay in touch, treating the chap well and apply a less heavy handed approach to keep what sounds like a good tenant.

It may be dirty and not to everyone's liking but is it damaging the property, causing complaints from the neighbours, going to cost you anything to have put right through his fault when he leaves (other than cleaning at his expense). Typically carpets last 10 years, redecoration every 3 years factored in by the landlord and so on for wear & tear assesment of rented properties.

Archived