Garage door

melbrown

Hi

I am trying to find out if anyone can advise me about whether I am liable to pay for repairs when my tenant contacts me and says that the garage door has come off its runners, please. I have read through the relevant sections of the Landlord and Tenant Act, but nothing is specific enough. I haven't been able to go and look at the problem yet and may be able to solve it myself, but if not and it comes down to having to get someone out to do this, I just want to know whether I would have to do this or whether it would be a goodwill gesture on my part.

Thanks.

I would use the same appraoch as with any "problem" at prop ...investigate and find out why door came off runners..then decide whether problem is "wear and tear"- LL prob OR T "abuse"....

I had one garage door which had counter weights to open door ....boxes had been stacked up right next to the door so that the next time the door was opened the the weight stopped on the boxes causing door to twist at an awkward angle ...the door was then forced up damaging runners and weight wires getting very tangled with runner mechanism ....in all took several hours to sort out and fair bit of straightening of the runner .........

Go have a look b4 you commit to taking responsibility!!!!

S

Hi goldiegirl,

If the tenant caused the problem due to negligent use - it is there problem - otherwise it is your garage door and, therefore, your problem.

It is never a gesture of goodwill to maintain YOUR property - it is just common business sense. How many future tenants will want to rent a property with a garage door hanging off or want to rent a property from a landlord who is happy to offer a property with a broken garage door.

The tenant is paying you rent - you are obliged to maintain the property (unless the tenant has been negligent).

Get it fixed ....

Mark

Hi goldiegirl,

If the tenant caused the problem due to negligent use - it is there problem - otherwise it is your garage door and, therefore, your problem.

It is never a gesture of goodwill to maintain YOUR property - it is just common business sense. How many future tenants will want to rent a property with a garage door hanging off or want to rent a property from a landlord who is happy to offer a property with a broken garage door.

The tenant is paying you rent - you are obliged to maintain the property (unless the tenant has been negligent).

Get it fixed ....

Mark

Hi goldiegirl,

Get it fixed ....

Mark

I would NEVER let a property with anything broken. However, it is difficult to prove that any negligence has taken place and that is why I was looking for advice. I don't really appreciate the tone of your reply "Get it fixed". I was under the impression that this forum was an ideal location for airing any questions.

Hi goldie girl

I think you've taken Mark's comments to heart too much.

The advice is good!

If you can't get to the property to ascertain whether fault lies with the Tenant or is just 'fair wear & tear/mechanical problem' get somebody you trust to go and have a look and report back.

Failing this you'll need to get a professional out to do it. This is gonna cost you regardless . . . .

On the 'whose responsibility is it ' question if the tenant has caused it then it's their problem and you need to charge them for the repair or replacment. Proving this may be difficult which could lead to all other types of problems regarding the tenancy but is part of the 'risk' business you are in.

Alternatively, If it can't be proven then you should just get it sorted I think. You have provided a facility which is now not working. You are responsible for repairing it so that it does. Just like a washing machine, or a cooker . . . .

I think it was a very fair question, and I've got to admit when I read Mark's reply, it felt a bit strong.

I think the risk with things like this is that the tenants can and will take the p*ss. You can never prove anything, so if they break the washing machine, cause a flood upstairs.....they will always make it appear it was not their fault and a genuine fault caused it.

The landlord then ends up spending hundreds on repair bills every month. I feel that some landlords do not look after their tenants, so we get bad press, but those that do, often get taken for a ride.

I know this as I have HMOs and if something is broken, nobody would ever own up to it, and you just have to take it on the chin, and I always get the problems sorted very promptly.

Go easy chaps!

This is probably a simple case of "clicking" it back into the runners ...so dont lose too much sleep over it ......but as Matt points out ........

as a T you develop almost infallible status ......things just "break" all on their own ....and pretty often....

Bed side rails snap, doors fall off, carpets stain themselves, Grass grows 10 x quicker on rented props as i get "i only cut it last week "...when the lawn is nearly 2 ' high !!!!..... keys just "snap" in the lock ...no they are NEVER forced!

and when the drain is blocked with spagettiti ...."but we dont eat spagetti ..." it must have been there b4 we arrived ...

And when the silicon around the bath is black/greean/yellow/orange etc along with the grout and a green ceiling in the bathroom ....."but i only have a bath once a week and i ALWAYS open the window!!"

Washing machine bearings gone "of course i dont overload it and yes i always balance the load"

And with the garage door it will almost certainly be " But i just opened it ....thats all"

Unfortunately as Matt (expert!) points out you will have to take a lot of this on the chin, as we all do !

Simon

Archived