Newbie "Landlord"

JohnD

Hi, i've recently found this forum and its opened my eyes to much of the pitfalls involved renting property. I'm in the process of renting my house out. Because i have no experience in this kind of thing, i've decided to take the easy option and let a letting agent do all the work.

I bought the property last year (Feb) in Derby, but because of the work situation i had to move back to London. Now i am looking for a mortgage for a property in the London area. I'm not too sure how it will work. I've been told that if i apply for a mortgage for a residence in London i will have to change the Derby mortgage to a buy to let mortgage! I'm not sure of the implications of doing it this way, my existing mortgage is a fixed rate for 3 years so there will probably be some penalties involved. Am i taking the right approach here or is there an alternative way of dealing with the situation?

Out of curiosity i was told that i should inform my Building insurance company that i was letting out the property, which i can understand. But i was also told that i should also inform the mortgage lender. If i wasnt applying for a second mortgage, why would they need to know?

Thanks for your time

John

I can answer part of your question John..........

You have to inform your Mortgage Company because they also part own the property until you have cleared your mortgage therefore they have a financial interest.

Also deep in your mortgage contract you initially took out will be a clause stating that they would need to know of any change of circumstances in who is actually living in the property and if you have a Tenant it won't will be you will it.

Mel.

Archived