Tax question re travelling

pugsy

This is a quick one hopefully. If I am travelling to one of my properties solely to kit it out, ie co-ordinate deliveries and generally sweat my guts out with a screwdriver and allen key for a few days and it is during school holidays. If my spouse is in full time employment and I have to take my children, all of them, on a plane, then is their travel tax deductable too? ... Just asking, I don't see why not, but maybe Plym or one of the boys can tell me otherwise.

Plym 77 will give you the Accountants definitive answer but from me (layman law) the answer would be No because the term "reasonable expenses" are only covered and what you are suggesting is not deemed reasonable.

I normally claim around £25 per year for travelling costs which is about right for me.

I would deem this reasonable & I think you would be able to reclaim this if you were coming over to sort out letting etc, however I am assuming you are just purchasing the property and renovating it?

I beleive that any renovation costs to bring up to lettable standard/purchase costs etc cannot be deducted and as such I don't think this will be as it is related to renovating/purchasing.

But Plym will give the definitive answer.

Hi all

To clarify...

Travelling expenses is a grey one but broadly speaking your travelling costs must be wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, so it really is a question of fact. If your flight is solely to perform letting business with no private use then it should be OK. Private use can include taking your children out, going to get groceries, visiting family and friends etc, so if you live abroad and are coming back to check the property and doing nothing else then fine, but if you are coming back and will be visiting family and friends then you cannot claim the costs, and in any event you will be unable to claim the childrens flights.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sherena

Ok, thanks sherena, got it on the travelling. Just an extra point, if I pay for childcare, babysitting, or a weekend aupair, whatever it is to assist me with performing my landlord duties, is that cost tax deductable?

I would say probably no. I have never come across a claim for childcare however on the basis that it is not directly related to the letting business I would not claim the expense. I appreciate that it causes additional expense to pay for children to be looked after while on letting business, however the expense itself has nothing to do with your letting business and is therefore not tax deductible

Regards

Sherena

Hi Pugsy

As you all probably know my other business is supplying furniture (a considerable amount to LL directly and a lot thru agents ) Most of the agents i deal with would facilite all of "set up" of the prop without you having to be present ... employing the services of people like me ...it is very rare that we see a LL in your position - we "fit out " props for people based all over the World (organised over phone and email) - completion of props can be done by "mail" i do not have time to waste half a day in my solicitors office every time i buy a prop - so we do it by mail (or in the pub over a pint!!!)

If prop is in swansea i can supply, deliver and assemble all furniture for you ..........

Last week we kitted out a 4 bed hmo for a LL in london(prop in Cardiff) - all done by email ...even emailed him pics of completed job !!

Also i supply people all over the country with furn and Mats delivered by carrier direct to prop without need for LL being present - either T or LA can accept del .....

BUT agent should have all of this at his finger tips if he is any good ........!

Or is part of the trip a " holiday" ....!?

Simon

Thanks that's an idea, I probably will do it for my next one and get you to quote me. It sounds like less hassle and cuts out my travelling costs. Prior to the last few months, I've been at home and it's been easy to do myself and I've enjoyed doing it.

I should complete by mail, but the last snagging that someone else did on my behalf left alot to be desired, so I want to do it personally as it is a large house, most of the furnishings are in storage, ready.

It's a shame about the non-tax deductions though, I should have made it a holiday, as it is it's fly in and out in 3 days, if my parents want to see me, they'd better come armed with a couple of screwdrivers! Oh well, live and learn.

Archived