Tax Avoidance or Evasion

odecar

Currently buying a property for £151k in a stamp duty exempt area i.e. no duty up to £150k.

Only realised after bid accepted as has assummed it was normal area.

Lots of equity in deal so not stressed about that element of it.

However couple buying property off are going into a lease property that they have loved for 20 years.

I have offered to pay the bond and first months rent £1850 and they will reduce the sale price by £1850.

Want to ensure I don't cross the line between avoidance and evasion.

Thoughts or better ways to do it.

Buy the prop at 149,950 and purchase the contents for £1k

what you are talking about is not related to the sale or at least make sure that it isn't as it could be catch you out !

If after consideration you revise your offer down to 149,950 and they accept then no problem. However, it is clear as mud what you are doing so tread carefully !! offer them the balance for contents and keep it simple

Plym ?????????

Simon

General rule of thumb is that the IR will permit purchases up to 3k above the stamp duty threashold.

Keep an itemised list of what your buying as a signed receipt from the Vendor... and it must be sensibly priced as well. ie Garden Shed £150,Carpets £300, Curtains £200 and so on.

Mel.

I would suggest that buying in exempt areas is probably a very good idea as long as rental demand is strong enough..

Why ?

Because generally these are deprived ares which are up and comming ( or due to be !) also you save money on the deal by not having to pay this out

Although odecar does make a very valid point re: solicitor and you should check out if prop qualifies personally

Simon

Archived