West African Tenant application

I am renting out a flat on S1 at present. I have had 2 seperate enquiries from West African people who have agreed all the terms etc. The strange thing is that they want to send me via their sponsor/agents an amount greater than the rental deposit and then they have asked me to deduct my deposits etc and send them the balance. All sounds too good to be true. Anyone heard of this????

Hi Iain

THIS IS A SCAM GO TO THE POLICE RIGHT NOW

This happened to a load of small hoteliers in Blackpool and they lost thousands.

The scam works like this they gain your trust over a couple of weeks and then send a friend / rep to meet you with some story about getting cash out of some unstable African State.

They then offer you a cheque for say £10,000 and say keep half and give them a cheque for the balance.

There cheque does NOT clear but your does along with the multiple forgeries taking large sums from your bank account.

Good luck

Oliver

:blink:

Yes Oliver is quite correct here, this is THE biggest scam.

Lots have been successful on ebay doing this and made millions out of unsuspecting sellers.

Report it directly and don't touch it with the preverbial bargepole.

Gareth

Don't touch it, and read this

Most of these scams are a variation of this

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Their cheque to you with the overpayment will clear your bank - you bank will even confirm this - so you send the monies, usually by an escrow company - then a few days later your bank will tell you the cheque was fraudulent and you've lost out !!

Hi Iain

THIS IS A SCAM GO TO THE POLICE RIGHT NOW

This happened to a load of small hoteliers in Blackpool and they lost thousands.

The scam works like this they gain your trust over a couple of weeks and then send a friend / rep to meet you with some story about getting cash out of some unstable African State.

They then offer you a cheque for say £10,000 and say keep half and give them a cheque for the balance.

There cheque does NOT clear but your does along with the multiple forgeries taking large sums from your bank account.

Good luck

Oliver

Hi

On another note I have started to refuse cheques to secure a tenancy.

It is bad enough that a tenant may not pay the second months rent but it is real bad news if the deposit cheque and first months rent bounce as well.

My advice is cash is king

Oliver

Cash is ALWAYS king Oliver, I would never let a Tenant in unless all cheques had cleared first.

Iain

Pay good attention to the advice given above as they are all correct.

I got involved in a similar situation around 4 years ago.

The guy i dealt with was pretty "good" - he sent me a cheque telling me his employer had paid for 6 mths upfront AND included his living expenses for several months -the cheque arrived for £9000, it arrived in envelope that looked like a 4 yr old had written it. It was drawn on a construction company in surrey - i googled the company and spoke to their financial director, who had had around 90 cheques presented on his acc -all fraudulent!

When i confronted the guy and informed him that the cheque was stolen he accused me of cashing the cheque and "stealing" his money and that if i didn't transfer £5000 in the next 24 hrs we would come and kill me ...............I told him that "i was the prince of darkness and that if he ever contacted me again i would rip his throat out"

Working on the fight fire with fire principle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had several threatening calls from the guy and daily threatening emails - we had the local police and fraud squad involved before we managed to stop the idiot from threatening us (or rather me!)

We even had a trace put on our line by the police, should he decide to call back ............he didn't .........

STOP ALL COMMUNICATION WITH THIS PERSON IMMEDIATELEY AND DO NOT EVER GET INVOLVED WITH ANY THING LIKE THIS ...........

All in a day of the life of a Landlord !

Simon

All in a day of the life of a Landlord !

Didnt realise being a landlord was so much fun (not). My experiences are boring compared to that.

On the main thread, I got a similar application as the original post and just said the place was let and thought it was dodgy.

MD.

Archived