Solid Fuel Appliances

J4L

I'm wanting to see if anyone has any knowledge about Solid Fuel Appliances.

A house has been running on solid fuel for years and the owner has had central heating installed, the fuel system as far as I can see has now been disconnected but the burner is still showing in the dining room. I see this as being a little dangerous if a Tenant going in decides one night to put his empty bag of chips in there or tries to burn some logs.

My understanding of this would be that the boiler behind would have or should have been drained of water and if something was burnt in there the boiler would potentially blow!

My gut reaction is to get it taken out.

Any points of view or experience in this area?

Gareth

It should have been removed when the CH system was upgraded.

Probably a Park-Ray Solid fuel burner.

If it is in good condition and serviceable it does have some second-hand value for those who live out in the sticks (!) with no gas or oil systems.

Mel.

Yes Mel it is a Park-Ray but wasn't removed at the time, i'm guessing for cosmetic or financial reasons.

What are the safety regs about such appliances?

Nothing really. The hotwater flow and return pipework should be capped off as they are redundent.

If a fire was lit it shouldn't be a problem really as it is only going to heat up an exchanger with no water as such and the heat/smoke dissapation will vent up the chimney anyway provided you don't have a crow's next at the top. :D

Like I said, it should have been taken out and I cannot understand why it wasn't but there again you are living in Wales. :blink:

Archived