CAB anti section 21 campaign

Hi

The CAB have started a campaign to remove the landlords right to issue a section 21 notice in certain situations.

We all know that once one tenant exercises this right they all will, and they will endeavour to twist their situation with one that prevents an eviction.

I am worried because several years ago the CAB started a campaign to protect tenants deposits and look where that got us.

The two main landlord organisations the RLA and the NLA were paid off with the right to profit from selling us deposit insurance.

My understanding is that the whole buy to let financial industry is based on the fact that section 21 gives rights of possession.

Interested to know all of your thoughts I have provided the CAB link below

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/press_20070613

Oliver

"Good Landlords have nothing to fear". Complete clap trap. It'd be a devicive piece of insulting legislation that would be abused by difficult tenants. Tenants are adequately protected by the HHSRS, at least they would be if councils had their act together. S21's are a corner stone of making property available to rent that would otherwise not be available. Target the 1 or 2 dodgy landlords with clearly thought out legislation, without applying a shell-burst approach that affects everyone. Of course CAB see it as a concern, the majority of their clients fall in the bracket of hardship but overall are a v small minority of the private rental market.

I can see that soon a judge will overrule a section 21, in severe cases, but as GPEL said good landlords would only be issuing a s21 for a good reason wouldn't they?

"Good Landlords" are the ones who get abused most - as they play by the rules - only to be shafted by the sytem !

The less scrupulous "thug" Lanlords will not be affected by this as they dont play by the rule book ..so once again we will all be tarred with the same brush and the "good guys" will get the battering

Sad but true!

Simon

A cautionary tale

I had a troublesome tenant several tears ago who new the ropes all to well unlike me at the time

After he stopped paying the rent (on month 2 of course) he the set about dreaming up fantasy claims.

Firstly was the harassment accusation when requesting rent payments.

Then he set about vandalising the property in order to cause repairing issues.

I had no idea until I received a letter from his free legal advisor accusing me of refusing to undertake essential repairs.

He undid the screws on the banister and claimed it a health and safety issue.

He removed the sealant on the bath left the tap running for a couple of days in order to claim a damp issue.

The most worrying action though was tampering with the gas cooker in order to cause a gas leak.

He refused access to repair on every occasion insisting on 24hr notice periods in writing then cancelling a couple of hours beforehand.

In total I lost about six grand in repairs and lost rent and mortgage payments subsidies.

This campaign by the CAB will allow Tenants like this to remain beyond the fixed term and even beyond approach.

We all remember to well the problems of assured secure tenancies.

Oliver

Hi all,

Well I think this change to Section 21 is long, long overdue. I totally welcome it. Honestly !

Landlords work in the "tenant services" sector. The tenant provides us with the rent and we provide them with a well maintained home.

If tenants are too scared to complain to their landlords about the poor quality of the housing provided (because they fear the landlord will retaliate with a Section 21 notice and evict them) - then I think it is very right that the law be changed to stop rogue landlords from doing this.

Section 21 is for landlords to gain possession of their property again and should not be used to make a tenant homeless just because the tenant complained.

Every customer (the tenant is our customer) has the right to complain and the right to expect great customer service without fear or threat.

Bring it on ....

Mark

''but as GPEL said good landlords would only be issuing a s21 for a good reason wouldn't they? ''

Just what I was saying Mark

Not that I was saying that you've sorta repeated what I meant but wanted to reiterate the point!

Hi

I have known even the best tenant to turn against their landlord should they hit troubled times such as loss of employment.

I have experienced a whole range of sob stories as to “Why I Cant Pay the Rent”

My response is any body can need a couple of weeks to sort themselves out after this though if no agreement to tackle arrears and rent payments I commence section 21 ( am prepared to take HB and wait the course if kept informed).

However tenants that cant pay and refuse to go present a real potential problem.

These are the very tenants that seek every loophole available and start to create repairing issues to offset the guilt of not paying.

I think that if a review of section 21 is going to occur then their needs to be a separate system maybe linked to a repair enforcement order to separate the genuine repair issues from the rouge tenant looking for any escape route for their responsibilities.

Oliver

Hi

Completeley agree with Oliver - this should not be an issur for section 21 - there needs to be a repair order sytem in place - which would deter dodgy LL from just chucking tenants out - Not with standing the fact that the prop is owned by the LL and is his to treat as he sees fit .......................

Simon

Archived