Renting to 'Family'

J4L

We have just bought a new house which is due to be completed in a month from now.

My partner's Sister who has been renting from another LL has asked if she can rent our new house from us.

Any cautionary tales with regard to letting to 'family' (even though she isn't related to me directly)

Can it affect her benefits at all?

Avoid renting to family and friends if at all possible. You're relationship with them becomes a business one. Time and again things go wrong because the tenant in this situation thinks it's alright to take liberties because "they're family". You end up carrying then can and are in the wrong when it all goes wrong. Nevertheless, if you do go ahead, treat the AST, referencing etc no different from anyone else. Do get RGLE cover.

Thanks for this GPEL, My thoughts are actually going down this way because I don't want the relationship to sour because of any future problems.

Thing is I'm gonna find it hard to say no because that may cause problems in itself. not that I want to and I'm sure with sufficient cover i'll be ok.

still worries me a bit although she's a perfect tenant where she is.

We'll have to sit down and discuss it I think.

A Landlord has no friends or family in their property......only Tenants and all should be equally treated the same with a water-tight Tenancy agreement.

Mel.

Hi

I have done this and a few minor problems did occur

The relationship changes and the person I rented to is no longer a friend but an ex tenant.

I found that boundaries were pushed as they sought favourable treatment from me as their landlord. This ranged from additional demands from pay for my telephone installation to I will pay you next month for my rent.

The assumption was that the friendship was worth the hassle

Its your call

Oliver

Cutting a very long story short w also look after her kids which she pays us for. The other week however she shorted me by £50 saying she was a bit skint. she did pay the following week though but i'm worried that the rent could go the same way. Thing is we're not just talking £50 here are we t could be more next time and then she'd get into difficulties trying to repay I think. She only needs two months of being 'a bit short' then it starts to cost ME.

I think i'll steer well clear of this one.

Lent money to family member once and got ripped off. Got Capital back eventually but took 5 yrs, they also had £60k plus written off by bank as bad debt. They starting a business and got everyone to subsidise them.

No contact with them now and no feeling of loss either.

May go into business with cousin but he already running successful business and would do it with formal partnership.

one thing i noticed that you said was would it effect her benefits..

some councils really look down on renting out properties to family members.. after all, they are basicaly paying the mortgage for your own family to live there.

not saying that they will not pay.. but i have found that asking and finding out 100% before hand with family members a prudent course of action.

.............and that's a big fat NO from me as well........No Paupers or Gawpers!

aren't gawpers people who view??

Yes Gareth

"Gawpers!" with a dazed staring expression, and their chin on the floor - usually dribbling ....head to one side ......When you outline the responsibilities of being a Tenant .......especially the one about " you must pay money every month -we call it rent !"............Haha

You get the picture ...................LOLOL

Simon

haha, the only gawpers I get is when I walk down the road with the MRS.

Archived