Extractor Fan above bath Safe? Legal?

Simon Dewsberry

Hi Guys

One for Russ me thinks!

Have just viewed a flat with an electric extractor fan located directly over the end of the bath - it is a straight thru the wall type -Vendor assures me it is legal as he himself installed it 4/5 years ago - but this is the 4/5" type with fan on bathroom side of wall directly above taps and shower head bracket (about 8" above bracket and 8" to ceiling)-it has a mixer tap shower on a hose and clips to the wall - Not any kind of expert on lecky regs - cant see this is safe as kiddies could easily point shower spray into fan - I will be moving it, or at least changing model, if i purchase prop.

Any advice?

Simon

Ideally the fan must not be sited directly above a bath for obvious reasons. Sounds like a bit of dodgy DIY to me.

More importantly check it has an isolator on/off switch on the outside wall of the bathroom as well.

( building regs requirement)

i am going to start charging for this! :D

"More importantly check it has an isolator on/off switch on the outside wall of the bathroom as well.

( building regs requirement)"

there is no reg that states this, its good practice to fit a triple pole isolator (if run from the light switch) or a double pole if not, so it can be isolated for maintenance, but only if there is no window in the room, its so it can be worked on with the light on.

there is nothing wrong with a fan above the bath as long as it is the correct type, IP rated and/or extra low voltage (12v), these are widely available and arn't expensive, will have to have a spy in my books to tell you the correct IP rating.

shouldn't be a major problem to have it swapped if its not the right type.

russ

I had a fan installed over bath a couple of years ago at home without any probs from either the plumber or electrician.

If renting the flat out then get electrician to double check.

If property is tenanted now then ask to see Electrical cert.

i am going to start charging for this! :D

"More importantly check it has an isolator on/off switch on the outside wall of the bathroom as well.

( building regs requirement)"

there is no reg that states this, its good practice to fit a triple pole isolator (if run from the light switch) or a double pole if not, so it can be isolated for maintenance, but only if there is no window in the room, its so it can be worked on with the light on.

there is nothing wrong with a fan above the bath as long as it is the correct type, IP rated and/or extra low voltage (12v), these are widely available and arn't expensive, will have to have a spy in my books to tell you the correct IP rating.

shouldn't be a major problem to have it swapped if its not the right type.

russ

Russ......2 years ago I had an en-suite built into one of my own bedrooms.

It was a building reg requirement by the Building Inspector that a double pole isolator switch to the fan be fitted on the ouside wall.

A window was cut into the wall and a new window was fitted and according to the Building Inspector it did not matter whether you had a window or not an extractor fan must be fitted to meet current regulations at the time.

So in my area it is a mandatory requirement and you cannot argue the toss with Building Regs Inspectors because if you don't conform they just will not issue you with a certificate of conformity when the build is finished and worse they can put a 'stop work' order on you and a fine.

Mel.

simon,

they will all be 240v, but some are IP (ingress protection) rated, the 240v connection will be water tight and the rest 12v, perfectly acceptable, ask if they have the intructions or get the make and model no and ill see what i can find.

as for the switch, i wouldnt worry as its only for conveinence.

it reminds me of "house of horrors" the other week, i, and i am sure many others were screaming at the tv that the so called expert was wrong!

russ

hi mel

i think you will find its a req by the building inspector, not a building regulation, every inspector has their own take on the regs and some will say black when others say white, there has to be fan fitted on a new build or ext to comply with doc F of the building regs, but there is nothing in the elec regs that it has to be isolated.

but to keep the inspector happy!

russ

Archived