New Legislation for Tenants with Disabilities.

Melboy

Up until now if you had a Tenant with a disability and the property was "user friendly" the Landlord was under no legal obligation to install any aids especially regarding stair lifts and vertical "through the ceiling" lifts and other expensive aids like wide doors to rooms and bathrooms etc.

This is about to change with new laws coming in in the next 2years which will require Landlords, if asked, to install these aids at their cost! There is no appeal open to the Landlord on this legislation.

Never ends does it. What else will this Government dream up to deter Landlords from providing accomodation to those who prefer to rent and not buy.

Mel.

Wouldn't panic too much about it at this stage. Most Gov releases of this nature come to nothing. Often do it to test the water. However, would be a concern if does become law. Whatever next... not allowed to refuse DSS applicants or some other such nonsense.

Details I have seen made no mention that landlord would be required to spend the money on the improvements. It suggested money be spent but no whose money.

Think ultimately there would be grants etc available for the whole cost as otherwise properties will not get let to people with disabilities which is not what the Govt would want.

The article I read yesterday said the government would pay. However, I would want alot of extra money from the govt for the "hassle" (my overseeing of the project, having to liaise with workmen, be at tthe property etc.

If a lift was required, I would want it removed when the tenant left, and all repair work done to the walls, repapering etc. Would cost an absolute bomb and I don't think they will have the funds to be honest, so I would steer clear.

I assume regulations are much stiffer too, proper Fire alarm system, emergency lighting, fire doors, slide out the window going straight into the jecuzzi in the garden?

Mat

point made in jest but one that is worth a mention - I fit jacuzzi baths into all of my smaller properties (flats mainly) i have 12 with jacuzzi's fitted - it means that Flats are just a little eassier to rent and allows me to put a few pennies on the rent !

They cost around £300 a piece and are a great marketing tool !

Simon

Really? That's interesting. Where do you fit them, in the bathroom? instead of a bath? Is it just a normal bath with bubbles or is it aone of those massive ones like they have in Big Brother? Not sure about that, is it not just another thing that can go wrong?

I find that most renters tend to go on price rather than luxury and have a set amount they are happy to spend, not what they can afford, so I'm not sure about it having an affect on the rent, but I guess they may then choose it over another, again don't think I would, just based on that.

When renting rooms, it is always the cheapest and smallest that go first, with the good sized, sea view, more expensive bedrooms being harder to shift. This surprised me, but makes me think people prefer to pay less and not have the luxury??? Thoughts anyone?

WHAT??? JACUZZIS!!!! You'll be giving landlords a good name and we can't be having that. Those moaning woman on the BBC this morning from Citizens Advice and an ex-tenant would be redundant. Please remove these items immediately. How else will the gov justify another law against landlords. Anyone see the news this morning; bloke from the Landlords Association was a bit limp. Yes do repairs but what about the one-sided law working against landlords when tenants misbehave.

Hi Guys

I use "normal" baths with either a 16 jet air spa OR an 8 jet water system - i buy in bulk so they come out approx £300 (fitted) and okay so the upfront cost is a couple of hundred extra but it is a one off - Maintenance is negligible as you just chuck a sterilizing tablet in the bath once a month - Tenants are given strict instuctions on keeping them clean or an £700 bill to replace (full retail value) if not looked after! (they have a very high perceived value)

so far no problems ! its been around 4 years since i started fitting them.

As for marketing prop and rent values - I dont get double rent (or anything like it!) But as the whole of the prop is top spec ie spotlights in ceilings, dimmers, quality kitchens, bathrooms, fittings anti slip flooring in K & B etc I do get strong money on rent!

Also dont put these in my 6/8 bed HMOs as that is prob to much abuse - but do have a 4 let with a lovely 8 jet corner jacuzzi and another 4 let with a std 8 jet which the 4 boys who live there, love to use to get their latest conquests back home at 2 in the morning!( still working on a deal for covert Jacuzzi cams !!ONLY JOKING)

Also really helps potential T to choose my prop over similar ones - also retains T's (as they cant bear to leave the Jacuzzi and the best Landlord in the world !!!!!LOL)

All for a one off payment of a couple of hundred quid !!!

As I sell a vast amount of furniture to LL and LA I get to see the inside of a lot of letted prop and have the luxury of being able to keep one step ahead of the competition at all times in terms of what is going on decor/quaility wise!!]

This summer I will be delivering beds to probably 300 student houses so will have a pretty good idea how mine compare ( and yes i nick all the good ideas that i see!!!!!!!) Just love this industry !!

I have one house with an indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and bar - but I live in it, so the only T 's who get to use these facilities are the ones i get on particularly well with !

If any one is intersted email me I havent bought any for a while but can get the right price for them !( as long as i order a few)

Simon

I may be interested in a couple simon, have one guy who's just come on board and looking for a new bathroom suite another due next week that is in a similar position. And if they're really nice I may have 2 or 3 for myself.

What sorts of quantities do you need to buy??

Gareth

Hello Gareth

Last order i bought 8 - to get the price right - that was around 14 months ago - dont mind getting 8 as long as i can get rid of 6 in and can ship them anywhere in uk on a pallet (£50-£100 depending on area or people can pick up from Cardiff. I will get hold of my "man" and get some prices if people are interested. Will also check exactly how much i paid for them last time!

Simon

I guess in top spec it's ok. But the returns are real bad in top spec aren't they? Especially if it's a new build, 300K for 2 bed flat that will let out for 800 pounds a month. I don't understand why people buy to let on those.

Of course I'm guessing somehow you get 10% returns on these, would be interested to learn how! The only ones which seem to make sense are HMO's. No jucuzzis, but a shed! Hang on, maybe I could put a jucuzzi in the shed :=) Or better still rent out the shed as room number 7???

Would consider Jucuzzi in own place, but not for now, a lot more important things to buy.

Hi Mat

How big is the shed ? !! well worth considerng..........

I have no new build in my portfolio at all ! and no plans too. Have seen far to many people lose 10-20 K by buying off plan in Cardiff !!

No these are mainy vic tce houses split into flats - if you are putting a new bathroom in just upspec a little..

I do have some props producing in excess of 10% but only by careful buying and upspecing on renovations - not by a great deal just dont buy budget. When buying i put some fairly silly offers in ...and there is always one who needs to sell badly enough..

One of my latest projects is a 4 bed 3 reception end of tce in a good prof letting area which i paid around 10 k under market value at 200k - i have gutted it and i am now going to put 2 x1 bed flt and 1x 2 bed flat in. (also 3x Jacuzzi!!) which will cost around 40k to do -there is also a garage which is looking like it could be a nice studio flat as well!(10k)- so it will owe me 250k but will be worth 100+140+140+180=560K if i sell seperately -optomistic ....? is it? best case scenario 300K profit but if it all goes wrong then can i really lose money here ?? (i was offered 235 last week for it as it is now - a shell!! so 30 K profit if i walk now !! i can live with it for 4 more years then maybe sell, maybe keep!

rent will be studio 450 1bed 550 550 2bed 675 =2275pcm on prop with 170K mort fixed at 4.89% for 5 years (approx 600pcm)and works done from CC and "other" rental profits

As 6 let would have got £1500pcm - 6HMO rooms £1800pcm(bills not inc) and have a prop worth maybe 250k

so HMO not always best way to go - I have 8 other props on this road some flts some hmo's and my shop and office! keep a balanced portfolio.

800 on 300K ........dreamers ! especially when the promised 20K equity growth in fact is missing one vital thing (-)yep that was it ...a minus sign sign in front of it !

Later guys.

Simon

Hey Boy, you one step ahead of me!!

I am actually on plan B as original plan was to do 4 x 1bed flat + attic studio + cellar basement studio also demolish garage and built 2 bed house

BUT planners werent having any of it, unless i built a multistorey car park to go with it - they condsidered it over development - the reality was that as a 6 let there were 8 cars with the T at the prop and with 7 units prob only 7 cars!!

- The figs on that lot were gorgeous (£3800pcmrent)but Hey ho

Always have a plan b ...................and c............. LOL

And always buy a property with "options" and potential !

room "7" has got to be worth looking at mate ! couls you replace shed with nice new "brick shed/workshop" if someone were to let the work shop and put a bed in it and stay there - what are you supposed to do about it ???........................

Simon

As for the begining of this thread - here is the answer !

Where reasonable, landlords should be under a duty to make alterations to the common parts of flats which disabled people find it impossible or reasonably difficult to use. This is the suggestion made in the Government consultation paper A Framework for Fairness: Proposals for a Single Equality Bill for Great Britain. However, any changes will have to be at the disabled person’s expense (including any reasonable maintenance costs), it suggests.

Archived