I am selling my property but the tenant wants to leave earlier than 1 month!

specialandk

i am selling my property and have given my tenants notice and informed them that they're good till the end of their term in a couple of months.

they've since asked if they can leave earlier than standard one month notice period as they've found another property. i insisted that they had to stick to their contractual arrangement and the 1 month notice period

however they've now become really angry with me and are making it really awkward for estate agents to view the property.

does anyone here know what my rights are??? :unsure:

AAArgh! Nightmare !

I always try to work with tenant on this situation !

Tell them that they can of course leave as soon or whenever they want ..BUT they will rwmain financially liable until th eend of the notice period.

Now obviously you dont like to see people wasting money paying rent on a property that they no longer occupy - so provide the date that they want to leave and you will endeavor to fill it for that date - then everyone is happy - point out that you are not obliged to to this and it really makes no difference financially either way to you as you will gt your rent anyway - but as a good responsible caring and helpful LL you are prepared to "work with them" on this and or order to save rather than waste money would it not be a good idea for them to work with you rather than against you !?

Simon

AAArgh! Nightmare !

I always try to work with tenant on this situation !

Tell them that they can of course leave as soon or whenever they want ..BUT they will rwmain financially liable until th eend of the notice period.

Now obviously you dont like to see people wasting money paying rent on a property that they no longer occupy - so provide the date that they want to leave and you will endeavor to fill it for that date - then everyone is happy - point out that you are not obliged to to this and it really makes no difference financially either way to you as you will gt your rent anyway - but as a good responsible caring and helpful LL you are prepared to "work with them" on this and or order to save rather than waste money would it not be a good idea for them to work with you rather than against you !?

Simon

Thanks for the advice. I know that legally they don't have a leg to stand on if they want any rebate. However they have been fine with letting us use the flat for viewings previously. Now they're limiting it to just once a week for a 3 hour period. Anyone had this situation???

Let them go as not worth the crap and hassle. Pay them the bond if no damage done.

They will make it unsaleable for a couple of months so get rid of them now.

You got an agreement but reality is they will make any new buyer think twice so just get rid.

I'd tend to agree and let them go early. Rodent says 'let it again' i'm thinking but this is gonna be difficult if you are not selling with tenants intact.

If you intended to sell 'with' tenants then of course I'd go along with Simon's suggestion that they ARE responsible for the rent until the end of contract. The law states that they should be allowed to go but you should be given 'reasonable opportunity' to let it out again. Thus, if you can fill the Tenancy within a month then you could sort it. If not, then, yes, they ARE responsible for the duration of their agreement.

I'm wondering if they've gone to find somewhere 'because' you said you were sellin and thus didn't want to put them into an 'unknown predicament' with a new landlord. Hence they've found somewhere else.

If you are just trying to sell without tenants then personally i'd let them go and cut my losses. Potentially you may lose a sale because they are being difficult with regard viewings.

i am selling my property and have given my tenants notice and informed them that they're good till the end of their term in a couple of months.

they've since asked if they can leave earlier than standard one month notice period as they've found another property. i insisted that they had to stick to their contractual arrangement and the 1 month notice period

however they've now become really angry with me and are making it really awkward for estate agents to view the property.

does anyone here know what my rights are??? :blink:

LET THEM GO AND COUNT YOUR BLESSING'S, IMAGINE IF YOU HAD A BUYER AND YOUR TENANTS REFUSED TO LEAVE. IT'S NOT THE BEST SCENARIO BUT ITS NOT THAT BAD.

Also imagine you get a buyer - very soon - like within 7 days - I will bet it takes 12-14 weeks to complete on the deal -why lose all that rent ? and if it takes longer ? If you are selling as investment most experienced LL will be more than happy that is Pre let - or are you selling as residential ?

If you are not interested in re-letting the prop just let them go and deduct the balance it from the bond !

Simon

Hi Specimen,

A simple piece of advice from me ...... stop being greedy (by trying to extract the last few days rent from your tenants) and let them leave early - without penalty.

Afer all - you decided to sell the property, you decided to serve notice, you decided to take away THEIR HOME.

Mark

Did you tell them when they moved in that at such and such date you would be selling the property?

If not you are being unfair in not letting them go early. They may well have intended staying at the property for a long time and thus you have made them incurr moving costs and a lot of hassle. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and see how you would feel about it.

In all situations I try to act how I would like to be treated.

Having said that if I burnt a huge hole in the carpet I would expect to be charged for it. Ha ha :-)

Archived