Agent problem

stephanie

My agent didn't collect the rent for the second month due to a cock up with processing the standing order. The tenant paid with a debit card eventually. I spent money on phone calls to the agent and to the tenant. This month, guess what? The rent is late again. The agent said they wait ten days before they send the tenant a letter. In view of the above I insisted they sort is sooner. I have sent them a letter saying if they don't collect it as soon as possible and ensure future payments are made on time I will terminate the contract. Can I do that?

Get the next AST to say "cleared funds must be received into the LL nominated account on or before the xx of each month, failure to do so will result in £5 per day late payment fee for every day the amount is outstanding, it should be remembered that funds can stay in the the banking system for upto 10 working days and for this reason we suggest you set your standing order accordingly"

I have all of my mortgage dd set for the 1st of each month and have this line in my lease stating S Orders should be set for the 23rd to make sure payment arrives in time. This is because, like you, i was sick to death of people setting a St Order for the 1st(the day they are supposed to pay) and we sometimes wouldn't see the money until the 10th

This works !!

You dont have to enforce the £5 fee but it is there if you need it !

1 week at =£35 plus £15 for a letter Tot £50(plus interest)

Yep be as late as you like - after 1 month approx £200 in costs i put the deb collector on it ( another 15 % )

I am not a nasty LL and will only invoke this with people who take the PXXX

It is however a very good motivator to people to pay on time!(tried and tested for several years by your truly)

Simon

This sort of thing highlights just one of the many reasons I don't use letting agents.

The only time I would EVER use one, if I lived a long distance away from the letted property.

I've heard too many first hand stories of LA being inept: delayed payments, not bothering to check references, the list is almost endless.

In my opinion, if you don't want to leave anything to chance, don't use an agent and do it yourself.

A little bit of planning and organisation is all that is needed, plus you'll have more cash in your back pocket.

Yes, yes, good advice, but the problem is I'm stuck with a useless agent! How do I get rid?

By informing them by letter of your complaint and that if it happens again you will dispense with their services as unsuitable to your requirements and needs.

At best it should sharpen them up and at worse you have warned them you will leave them.

Mel.

All you need to do is check your agreement with the Letting Agent to see if there's a clause/penalty for breaking the contract you've signed. You should be able to just give them a months notice at worst.

Archived