Can I credit check my housing benefit tenant

lovedogs

Hi again new to site.

I've been reading through alot of the topics and they are a great help. I managing my house myself without an agent. I know this isnt advisable to do. Can I credit check my tenant anywhere. I know about the references and the PTD. Is there anything else I should do? I know its all a risk what tenant you get.

Many thanks, hope someone can help

Hi lovedogs,

Well you could credit check your Housing Benefit tenant as, surely, not every HB tenant has got County Court Judgements (CCJs) awarded against them .... but I don't really see the point in doing this given that you will be reliant on the Council paying the HB for the tenant to be able to pay you the rent.

In other words - the credit score of your tenant is irrelvant if the Council are responsible for paying the rent.

The important question is "Is your tenant entitled to Housing Benefit at all - and how much extra money, if any, will they need to add to their HB each month to be able to pay you their rent".

No Housing Benefit = No rent.

Hope that helps

Mark

Hi lovedogs,

Well you could credit check your Housing Benefit tenant as, surely, not every HB tenant has got County Court Judgements (CCJs) awarded against them .... but I don't really see the point in doing this given that you will be reliant on the Council paying the HB for the tenant to be able to pay you the rent.

In other words - the credit score of your tenant is irrelvant if the Council are responsible for paying the rent.

The important question is "Is your tenant entitled to Housing Benefit at all - and how much extra money, if any, will they need to add to their HB each month to be able to pay you their rent".

No Housing Benefit = No rent.

Hope that helps

Mark

Yes its does thanks. I dont mean to say all HB need to be credit check, i would have done this even if it was private tenant. It's just I've never done this and i know its pot luck with what tenant i get. I just don't want to be taken for ride if I know where we both stand. Thanks again for advice :)

I would recommend a credit search at least, if not a full tenant reference from a professional referencing company.

The credit search shows previous and linked addresses where the prospective tenant has lived but may not have declared to you, as well showing up any CCJ's etc - which is an indicator of the quality of tenant and I wouldn't just be thinking of ability to pay here.

If you go down the full tenant reference route you may get a previous landord reference. If the tenant passes you should qualify for a Rent Guarantee & Legal Expenses insurance policy. Appreciated rent maybe guaranteed by the council but it is always advisable to have some Landlords Legal Expenses cover.

www.leaseguard.co.uk

Just a word of caution here, if you DON't do credit checks on HB tenants and they have a poor history what happens if half way through an AST they no longer qualify for it?

Personally i'd do checks on everyone, you never know what's going to turn up! :)

My policy on this is simple

The only way i take a HB tenant is with a cast iron fully referenced guarantor.As has been discussed on here b4 HB rent can be removed at any time by DSS for no apparent reason - a query on the acc, tenant "fiddling", moving boyfriend in, some spurioous form missing from tenant file etc and a whole load more reasons which are completely out of your control.

If you are paid HB direct not only will rent cease you are likely to get a bill from HB to return the money you have already received if they deem it an "overpayment " or money the the tenant wasn't entitled to.

Notice i said "YOU" not the tenant.

At the time of entering the agreement if the tenant is claiming HB they logically will not be in a position to afford rent if HB is removed. So referencing for affordability is a waste of time !

However a credit check will give you a more detailed picture of their history - which along with previous LL refs, employers ref and personal refs should give you a good enough picture to make a decision.

The Financial "risk" side of things should be bourne by the gaurantor- who should be made very aware of the situation- I always speak to them personally to confirm with them that generally HB can take at least a month to come thru so i will be looking to them for the first months rent should the tenant fail to deliver - also that i will be looking for rent payments immediately if HB is withdrawn for any reason wether thru the tenants actions or not.

If i can get this in place and i feel the tenant is suitable then i would probably take them on.

Good luck!

I totally agree with this.

There's not many people that know that if the tenant has been deemed to had an overpayment then it's the LL that they come to for a refund. I know a few people who have been 'caught out' by this.

However, isn't there new legislation coming soon that says that any HB will be paid directly to the T.

I'm sure this will prevent the above problem happening but surely will open many problematic doors for Landlords getting their rental payments.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other I think. . . . . .

Tenants can elect to have HB paid direct to them already and have been able to for a long time.

This is the only way i will do it - as hb cannot then be claimed back from me, the LL, as it was not paid direct to me.

Defaulters are annoying, but not a huge issue if you have the gaurantor in place !

Simon

'Tenants can elect to have HB paid direct to them already and have been able to for a long time.'

Yeh I know that they could always do it but I'm sure there is new legislation coming that makes it compulsory for it to be paid directly to the T.

• 7 months later...

Hi my name is rhys and i work for a company called creditsafe uk.i provide online credit reports on consumers+companies..Its all done online and within 5 seconds you could have everything up on your screen about your tenants/customers.

I would like to offer a free demonstration to anyone who requires.

my email address is rhys.humphries@creditsafeuk.com

Thanks

How much Rhys?????

£6 PER SEARCH BUT THE MORE YOU BUY , THE CHEAPER THEY ARE..

WE DONT PROVIDE REFERENCES HOWEVER THEIR OVER RATED IN MY EYES AS WHEN I NEED TO SEE A REFERENCE FOR SOMEONE I JUST CALL THEIR PREVIOUS EMPLOYER,LANDLORD ETC DIRECT. THAT WAY IT ONLY COSTS A PHONE CALL AND TAKES 2 SECONDS AND IT DOESNT COST YOU AN ARM AND A LEG.

ARE YOU INTERESTED?

Archived