Tenant's Reference

Explorer 1

This is my first post, having casually browsed this forum in the past.

My topic concerns references for a potential tenant for a sole occupancy flat, say she has a good work ref. good bank statement, but currently in a joint tenancy which has turned sour. Thus may not get glowing ref from managing agent. How important is this? bearing in mind ref. from agent will be a reflection on both tenants, and I am only interested in the one potential tenant.

A prospective tenant stating that they wouldn't get a glowing ref from the managing agent would be enough to put me off. I wouldn't risk it myself.

However, you could chat to the managing agent to see exactly what was going on, but unless they say she was faultless in the joint tenancy that turned sour then I would leave her well alone.

Now that the new Tenancy Deposit scheme is up and running, it is more essential than ever to get a good, trusting tenant, otherwise they could deliberately dispute any damages or cause trouble regarding the size of the returned deposit etc

Hi

"turned sour" ??

get all of the relevant references done and see what "turned sour" means !!

only when you have this information can you decide how important it is - if at all

the problem may be loud music - damage - financial - or maybe she had an affair with the letting agent which has gone "sour" !!!

the point is that you dont have enough info YET !

When you have the inf you can take an educated view on it and procced from there !

If risk is financial then take 6 months rent up front

TO SOLVE A PROBLEM - ONE MUST CLEARLY "IDENTIFY" THE PROBLEM !

Simon

Yes, I would agree, you would have to discover what has actually turned the joint Tenancy sour.

If it is due to the second person failing to pay joint rent etc. then it cannot be your prospective Tenant's fault can it really?

If she passes your enquires and reference checks etc..... then why not?

Yes, I would agree, you would have to discover what has actually turned the joint Tenancy sour.

If it is due to the second person failing to pay joint rent etc. then it cannot be your prospective Tenant's fault can it really?

If she passes your enquires and reference checks etc..... then why not?

hello to all,

well, firstly thanks very much for all your contributions. Since posting, I have made contact with letting agent, and they have had no problems with either of their tenants to report. They merely confirmed that the tenants have fallen out and given notice. I think this may be a case of tenant being completely honest and up-front. What do you guys think?

Archived