Selkirk

Hi everyone

Been reading the posts and this seems to be the forum, good opinions and honesty.

I’m just purchasing my second property and am going to manage this one myself; if it works out I’ll do my first as well. The first is with an agent who guarantees the rent each month, basically, they sub let it out. This is not very cost effective as they take a fair chunk each month. However, the first tenant I had screwed me over and with fingers burnt took the safest option going. It didn’t help with the law protecting the tenant so much. From my experience if you try and out a defaulting tenant the council has to re house them so it's made as hard as possible.

Anyway, a bit meaner and wiser and confidence is back (for now!). Will make sure of credit reference/s and put the necessary insurance in place to cover rental and eviction, are we allowed to name companies we're using?

So for some help then please, can anyone point me in the direction of an AST download that contains the new and necessary information on a tenants’ deposit, I was going to use the DPS (Deposit Protection Service). Is this the way to go? Any views?

Be interested to hear other peoples experiences and how they survived.

cheers

Selkirk

Hi Selkirk,

The Deposit Protection Service have provided it's members with some text to include within the tenancy agreement that confirms that the landlord intends to use the DPS.

Tenancy Deposit Solutions (run by the National Landlords Association) provide a certificate - which you can give to your tenant - once the deposit has been protected .....

I'm not sure what the other (ARLA run) scheme is doing ....

Hope that helps ....

Mark

Hi Tim

Nice to know there's some help about, are you 'independent'? Apparently a question I should always ask first.

I've got a mortgage offer for another static rate which will tie me up for a couple of years.

cheers though

Selkirk

Archived