Landlords Buildings/Contents Insurance

thurgoland

Hi There,

I am a new landlord and would like some advice on Contents Insurance. I have just purchased an Off-Plan Property (2 Bed apartment) . The buildings insurance is covered by the management company. Is there a requirement to take out any further buildings insurance or is the management companies insurance usually sufficient . Secoundly, if i am renting the property out unfurnished what standard of contents cover will i need .Can anybody give me contact details for reasonably priced insurance companies.

Thanks Gary T

Hi There,

I am a new landlord and would like some advice on Contents Insurance. I have just purchased an Off-Plan Property (2 Bed apartment) . The buildings insurance is covered by the management company. Is there a requirement to take out any further buildings insurance or is the management companies insurance usually sufficient . Secoundly, if i am renting the property out unfurnished what standard of contents cover will i need .Can anybody give me contact details for reasonably priced insurance companies.

Thanks Gary T

Thanks for that . I take it that you only take out contents insurance as the buildings is covered by your management company?

Gary T

If tenant damages property then bond and "bill" followed by debt collection is surely the way to go - why would you want to make a claim on your own insurance for their damage - this will raise your future premiums because you have a claim !

On larger portfolio's this can have dramatic effects on premiums which i do not find acceptable ! for this reason i do not insure contents !

I give the tenant a very nice clean house with everthing in good working order - that is what i expect back at end of tenancy - If i dont get it then the tenant WILL pay to restore to proper condition!

I know i mention Debt Collectors regularly - fact is i very rarely need to use them - as the stories i tell my tenants of people's nightmares with dc's along with the written threat of them taking over the case is enough to spurn most people into action!

Try it ! you can still go to court later ! but usually I get all of my money and the tenant out almost immediately!

Simon

Archived