Letting agent and landlords

mahendra4140

Hi

Ihave let a property through letting agent with managed service when i gave the keys to them it was in lettable condition but when tenants abandoned the property they left lot of rubbish in the house then the agents cleared the rubbish but charged me £763.75 to remove the rubbish as i see it it is agents responsibility to get me the house back in the condition given to them shoud i pay or not.

Hi Mahendra,

A letting agent, providing a fully managed service, _manages_ the letting and the tenancy at the property.

A fully managed service does not mean they are going to personally clean and maintain your property - it means that they will manage / organise 3rd parties to provide cleaning and maintenance services on your behalf and at your expense - up to an agreed limit.

However, £763.75 for cleaning services seems a lot of money. Was the cleaning provided by a 3rd party ?Did the letting agent get quotations. Were these quotations discussed with you. Did you approve the £763.75 expenditure before the cleaning commenced - I guess not. How much have you authorised the letting agent to spend without getting permission from you ?

My advice, ask for a copy of the quotation, ask for a copy of the invoice, ask for a breakdown of the invoice (so you can see how your money has been spent) and then check with a couple of other companies to see whether the cost seems fair compared with the amount of cleaning that was delivered.

If it seems fair - pay it. If you authorised it prior to work commencing - you will have to pay it.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Using an agent doesn't absolve you of any costs and you are still ultimately for the property. If the agent has been negligent that's a different matter, but you cannot introduce your own expectations after signing a contract specifying the service provided.

Hi Mahendra,

A letting agent, providing a fully managed service, _manages_ the letting and the tenancy at the property.

A fully managed service does not mean they are going to personally clean and maintain your property - it means that they will manage / organise 3rd parties to provide cleaning and maintenance services on your behalf and at your expense - up to an agreed limit.

However, £763.75 for cleaning services seems a lot of money. Was the cleaning provided by a 3rd party ?Did the letting agent get quotations. Were these quotations discussed with you. Did you approve the £763.75 expenditure before the cleaning commenced - I guess not. How much have you authorised the letting agent to spend without getting permission from you ?

My advice, ask for a copy of the quotation, ask for a copy of the invoice, ask for a breakdown of the invoice (so you can see how your money has been spent) and then check with a couple of other companies to see whether the cost seems fair compared with the amount of cleaning that was delivered.

If it seems fair - pay it. If you authorised it prior to work commencing - you will have to pay it.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thanks for the advice Trenners

Hi

Presumeably there was a deposit or bond from the tenants ?

This amount should clearly be deducted from the bond of the outgoing tenant. As already pointed out this seems alot of money - i pay £150 for a large skip so that is 5 skips full to me ! That is one hell of a lot of rubbish!

Something is not right here - ask to see a breakdown of the costs and insist on being provided with copies of original invoices to make sure they are not over charging! (agents are good at this ) i know because as well as being alandlord i supply furniture to lots of agents and landlords! and they dont charge the landlord what i charge them - !!

a Landlord friend of mine was charged £60 to have the lawn mowed last year - when my friend protested at this charge the letting agent exlained in great detail what a nightmare it had been as the tenants hadn't cut the grass and it was so long and thick that they had to hire a petrol strimmer to cut it back b4 it was mowed !

Almost believeable until my friend reminded the agent that there was actually no lawn at the property as he had completely slabbed the garden the previous year ! needless to say he doesn't use thst agent any longer ! ONE VERY RED FACE !!

If deposit was eaten up in unpaid rent then put a debt collector on to tenants(see my previous posts ) You will need to make sure you set a limit with future lets of how much an agent is authorized to spend on your behalf!

Hi

Presumeably there was a deposit or bond from the tenants ?

This amount should clearly be deducted from the bond of the outgoing tenant. As already pointed out this seems alot of money - i pay £150 for a large skip so that is 5 skips full to me ! That is one hell of a lot of rubbish!

Something is not right here - ask to see a breakdown of the costs and insist on being provided with copies of original invoices to make sure they are not over charging! (agents are good at this ) i know because as well as being alandlord i supply furniture to lots of agents and landlords! and they dont charge the landlord what i charge them - !!

a Landlord friend of mine was charged £60 to have the lawn mowed last year - when my friend protested at this charge the letting agent exlained in great detail what a nightmare it had been as the tenants hadn't cut the grass and it was so long and thick that they had to hire a petrol strimmer to cut it back b4 it was mowed !

Almost believeable until my friend reminded the agent that there was actually no lawn at the property as he had completely slabbed the garden the previous year ! needless to say he doesn't use thst agent any longer ! ONE VERY RED FACE !!

If deposit was eaten up in unpaid rent then put a debt collector on to tenants(see my previous posts ) You will need to make sure you set a limit with future lets of how much an agent is authorized to spend on your behalf!

Hi my agent has stopped paying me rent on my other property to pay for this one

also they sent me a invoice for work that has not been carried out £670 for facia board and couple of slates

Archived