Problem of payment with 1 of 3 tenants

dario

Hi all,

I would like some advice with the following situation if anyone can help.

I have a new (3rd month) tenancy with 3 tenants on the contract. A & B are fine but C has lost their job and not being unresponsive to A & B. So far they have covered her share of the bills and want her out. They think they have potential replacements for C but she is not even responding to them and is rarely even at the property.  C's contact with me is also sporadic and I am very concerned about their reliability so would also prefer they find a new tenant (and am happy to draw up a new contract.)

I have explained to A & B that the contract is in all their names so I cannot act on only one of them for non-payment and that if the rent is not paid, they are all in breech of the contract. 

Is there anything I can do to help the situation? I am concerned they will not be able to keep covering her bills and I will have to go down the route of getting them all out after 2 months of non-payment, which could get messy. Also, if payment is only partially made for 2 months (i.e. they pay their bit but C does not) are they still in breach? 

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Dario  

10 hours ago, dario said:

Is there anything I can do to help the situation? I am concerned they will not be able to keep covering her bills and I will have to go down the route of getting them all out after 2 months of non-payment, which could get messy. Also, if payment is only partially made for 2 months (i.e. they pay their bit but C does not) are they still in breach?

There is very little you can do. That's why letting to a group of sharers is never recommended.....even two sharers can be much more of a problem than a couple who are an 'item'.

Your only concern should be the rent payments not whether they pay their bills.

Are you sure that your x3 unrelated sharers do not constitute an HMO ?.....check with your local authority.

They are each responsible for all of the rent so you could peruse any of them if money is owing. In your shoes I'd call it a day now. Let them all end the tenancy early before they owe rent and start again.

Archived