Repair or replace

emerald

Do I repair or replace - experience appreciated please.

Dishwasher in property has now developed a fault (7 years old);  heats water intermittently - then stops working (according to tenant).

Anyone know about dishwashers ?   Good make - not cheapie;  hate 'built in obsolescence' and would prefer to have this repaired rather than replaced.

But would that be cost effective;  what's general feeling about repair of such items - is it best to replace ?

Neither..........

Here are my thoughts.

* Never accept the tenants word as being correct. It could be something as simple as a blocked filter or water supply.......check it personally or get it checked first.

* I wouldn't dream of providing a dishwasher in any of my rentals. The only time this might be worthwhile is in a large premium property that commands a high rent. 

* I'd rather offer a small discount on the rent in exchange for the tenant providing their own.

* The cost of replacements cant be claimed on tax return unless they are built in appliances. The cost of repairs can be claimed.

* Any appliance that has managed to last 7 years has run its course in my view and is not worth repairing. Something else may well go wrong next week and again the week after.

* If you have to provide one.......and you might not have to.......don't buy premium brands.

Hi to all the regulars on here. Although I have not posted for a while (all rentals have been running smoothly for the last few years) I always read the posts and informative advice from the regulars, a big thank you for your time.

Get to the point.

Richlist says:  

" The cost of replacements cant be claimed on tax return unless they are built in appliances. The cost of repairs can be claimed."

This is a subject that I have moaned about on this forum before but I believe the situation has changed since 6 April 2016.

From what I read, I believe that we can now claim relief on furnishings and white goods in our furnished and unfurnished rentals

Google     "replacement furniture relief" hmrc

It would be reassuring to know if the regulars on this forum come to the same conclusion as me before I actually make a claim for any of these items, I'm afraid my concentration levels fall to new lows when I start reading this stuff.

Duck,

You are absolutely correct. The rules have changed as from April 2016 .

In my defence I would say that the reason I got it wrong is because i have just completed my 2015-16 tax return. In doing that I'd been working to the old pre April 2016 rules.

For the current tax year its all changed. Bad news of course for those with fully furnished who previously claimed the 10% wear & tear allowance and now can't.

• 5 months later...

Archived