corgi gas test certificate again ?

kateinglenavy

I am new to this forum so hopefully some of you seasoned BTLerss can advise me. I have just bought a newly built house and with the keys got a corgi gas test certificate. I hope to have tennant in by next month . Do I need to have another test done on the day they move in or will my 12 month test cover this

Thanks Kate

If cert is valid for 12 months its valid for 12 months so no need.

As above and...........

Always try and put "The Tenant" and rental property address in the top left hand box.

Make sure your Tenant sees their copy.

Keep all certs. for 3years.

This might be a silly question but i have just had gas installed to a house and central heating fitted. the plumber said i dont need a cert for first year. If that is the case why does a new build need a cert to start with??????

Absolutely and totally incorrect information has been given to you. You require a Gas Safety Certificate for all residential lettings regardless of how new your installed system is or how new your property is etc.

Your Plumber is wrong and I am very surprised he said what he did because he for one should know better!

I am a retired Managing Director of a Heating and Plumbing Company.

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely and totally incorrect information has been given to you. You require a Gas Safety Certificate for all residential lettings regardless of how new your installed system is or how new your property is etc.

Your Plumber is wrong and I am very surprised he said what he did because he for one should know better!

I am a retired Managing Director of a Heating and Plumbing Company.

hi melboy

I think the rules must have changed since you were in the trade i have just spoken to corgi and they have confirmed i do not need to arrange a certificate in the first 12 months of a new boiler being fitted. the plumber will send details of new boiler to corgi and they then send one to the property.

So you are right in saying i need one but i dont need authorise it myself.

But i forgot to ask them about new builds

Hi Speedtwin

Just how new are these regs because i have had 4 new boilers installed in the last year - and always had "the ticket" from the engineer!

I have not received anything from corgi.

If you have "exposed" gas pipes in a property with older equipment cooker hob fires etc which are "proud"in rooms - to really cover your arse it is probably a good idea to get them checked on every tenant change -(i also have kids and a conscience !) I do this because a little ding from a large peiece of furniture can crack soldered joints a little to easily for my liking. I have one particlular property which i do this with!

Not essential but good practice - and for £25 peace of mind.( i know, i know its cheap !!but i give and get, him a lot of business)

Normally approx £35- £70 depending on how greedy they are !

Simon

Simon

hi rodent

i dont know if they are new im just going on what corgi told me.

The property in question had gas up to it but not inside the plumber fitted new heating and boiler and the details were sent off to corgi by the plumber. When i then spoke to corgi they asked for the post code and house no which they had on record and said a cert had been sent to the property, which i will now have to try and get a photo copy of fron the tenant. They did say they could send copy to me at a charge of course but i didnt ask how much.

I suppose this way will only work if the plumber sends details to corgi (i do not know if they have to)

Or maybe some plumbers dont sent details back to corgi so they can charge us for £50 for a cert???????????? Or maybe not

The only reason im saying is cos i have just have another property have heating and boiler fitted and when i asked the plumber about the cert he said he would give it to me for £25 instead of £50 cos he has done most of the checks already

Sorry Speedtwin but your Plumber should have issued you with a Landlords Certificate.

New installation or not I'm afraid. You are required to give a copy to the Tenant in any case.

I may be "retired" but my Son runs the company now and he would always issue a cerificate and more to the point it would be FREE on any new installation to the Customer. It takes but 5 mins on a new installation to write out a Landlords Certificate.

The CORGI cerificate of installation is required for registration and your Installer is bound by CORGI rules to submit ALL installation work by registering the boiler to CORGI.

He does risk the possibility of a screen check on his installation work if he fails to repeatedly ignore CORGI rules and worse....being struck off.

Archived