Rents - Big Increases

Richlist

Latest report from National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) & Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA) predict average house prices to rise by 2025 from £280K - ££419K.

Average cost of renting by 2025 to rise by 27% from £134 per week to £171.

Uk average prices to rise by 4.1% per year & London by 6.3% over next 10 years.

Rents rising 2.5% per year & 3% in London over next 10 years.

Figures compiled by CEBR.

Latest report from National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) & Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA) predict average house prices to rise by 2025 from £280K - ££419K.

Average cost of renting by 2025 to rise by 27% from £134 per week to £171.

Uk average prices to rise by 4.1% per year & London by 6.3% over next 10 years.

Rents rising 2.5% per year & 3% in London over next 10 years.

Figures compiled by CEBR.

Hi RL   Would the above tempt you to sell or keep your properties?

If the number of tenants being evicted on the increase, how can the rents keep rising at such a rate?

I don't think I would be convinced to buy, hold or sell by these figures.

Everyone's situation is different and at my 'mature' age I've decided that reducing the size of my portfolio to something more readily manageable is what I want to do. To this end I have already started by selling three properties, one in each of the last 3 financial years in order to minimise my CGT bill. We have another becoming empty mid January 2016 and after a minor refurbish will be put on the market in mid February with a sale completion not before April 6th 2016  in order to minimise CGT.

We are already trying to establish which properties to sell by comparing rental income, running costs, length of voids, size of any mortgage outstanding etc etc and then planning to dispose of the worst.

By 2020 I already have a good idea of the size that my portfolio will be and which properties will remain in it and what the likely gross and net income is likely to be.

There has been a lot of talk about BTL and a suggestion that landlords are stopping 1st time buyers getting their first home. There may be some truth in that but what is likely to become an even bigger story is home owners who cannot move on into bigger property as their family grows cos property prices are unaffordable. 

Who said that being able to buy a property is a human right.......if you can't afford it what's wrong with renting ? They mainly rent in Germany and the rest of Europe so why not here ?  The level of evictions is not that great, the situation is not critical, there are always going to be people who don't pay, can't pay, won't pay, expect others to pay for them. If you are having problems with tenants who can't pay just be more selective when looking for suitable tenants. I rarely have any tenants who don't pay their rent.

The more I think about these price rises the more I'm not surprised.

Historically I've had some impressive price rises on properties that  I have NOT improved.

1973 - 1978 ......50% increase in 5 years

1978 - 1982........50% increase in 4 years

1982 - 1988......275% increase in 6 years

That makes a predicted 50% increase in the next 10 years rather unimpressive.

Archived