Annual Safety Checks

ShelleyB

I'm new to the forum, so I apologise if this is a constant query.

I let my property last year, and only used an agency to find the tenants. The agency told me that it was a legal requirement to have safety inspections for both gas and electricity. This we duly did, the gas inspection being no problem, but the electricity one cost over a £1000 as we had to have a new 'hi tech' central fuse box etc. As we told this was a legal requirement, we put it down to an initial cost as we were new landlords.

I have subsequently been told that only the gas inspection is legally required - not electricity.

Could someone please confirm what is the current legal requirment.

Many thanks

Hi Shelley and welcome..............

Gas/boiler/fire/check is a legal requirement and is punishable by a heavy fine if you do not have the Annual Safety Certificate.

Electrical checks at the moment is advisory and not mandatory but having said that it is in the Landlords/Tenants interest to have these checks carried out particularly in older properties with ancient fuse boxes/electrical earth bonding etc.

Portable appliances is mandatory such as washing machines kettles toasters if you leave them in the property for the Tenant.

£1000 sounds like a lot to me and as always you should have gone for competitive quotes perhaps before agreeing with the the Letting Agent. ?

Mel.

hi shelley

there is nothing wrong with most of the old style fuse boards, they still sell them today, personally (as someone who works as an electrical installer) i would prefer an old style fuse on all my lighting circuits as when a bulb pops they dont "trip", not like the modern day circuit breakers. there is some old fuse boards that do require replacing, wooden ones etc, but these are very old and usually its a sign that a rewire is inevitable.

also as mentioned that there should be an adequate earthing system installed. but there is no requirement to bring it up to todays regulations, (wihich looks like it will change again in march 08!) as long as it would have been satisfactory on previous regs. but if there is any new circuits added, not additions (or a new fuse board) then the earthing system has to be upgraded to comply.

as mentioned the gas is mandatory, electrical is advisory, the advice given is change of occupancy/every 10 years. there have been a post about this before somewhere? if you have had a periodic inspection done, or have been issued with an electrical installation cert, (you should have recieved one or the other for the consumer unit change, which by the way has to be done by a spark who is registered with a governing body or local building control has to be notified) so you should be fine for a while.

the £1000 cost does sound expensive, but there are alot of factors that need to be taken into consideration that can increase the cost, on average a C/U change is usually in the region of £400/£500 which includes earth upgrading and full testing, as long as the job is striaght forward and there is none or very little faults found.

hope this helps

russ

The gas legislation requiring annual checks is well documented and clear enough, but I now get a regular 'failure report' with my safety check because my boiler flue outlet position does not meet current building regs*.

I'm informed by the authority that all this 'failure' actually means is that the flue will have to be repositioned when the boiler is eventually replaced, and can be ignored in the meantime.

(*The current regs show that my flue is too near to a party wall, presumably in relation to the neighbour's window beyond - but the neighbour's flue on the other side of the party wall is in a mirrored position, thus even nearer to their window! - as is mine to my window.)

Russ,

Regarding electricity (I am not in that trade), I had assumed that professional installers were obliged to work in compliance with latest Regs. Am I wrong? Or are their recommendations to upgrade circuits and consumer boxes something of a rip-off?

Thanks for your responses. It does sound pretty excessive, but at least it's done now. The trouble at the time was getting the inspection done in time for our new tenants, and were let down by a couple of companies not bothering to turn up.

If we had known then that it isn't mandatory then we wouldn't probably have bothered to go to all that unncessary expense!

hi webb

any new installations have to be to the current regs (16th edition as amended) but there is a 17th ed proposed for 08, so in theory an installation on the 28th feb to the 16th is fine but on the 1st march is incorrect, but as the regs are only guidance they cant be enforced, so if your property was wired to the 15th ed, there is no mandatory law stating that it has to be updated to the 16th.

but.......... any works that includes a new circuit or a CU change, you have to make sure earthing and main bonding (water and gas) is upto date, RCD protection if required etc, any additions, ie a few extra sockets (not likley to supply portable equipment outside) or a new light etc, it can be marked as a deviation on a minor works form.

quoted from the NICEIC "there is no legal requirement, and no regulation in BS7671, requiring an existing elecrtical installation to be upgraded to current standards, however, there is a requirment under the building regs for england and wales not to leave an installation less safe than it was prior to modification work"

problem is, some people are a bit too "belt and braces" in my view and are a bit robotic in thier approch to work, its always good practice to upgrade but if the customer says there not prepared to have there new laminate flooring ripped up so i can earth their stopcock at the other end of the house, just because they want an extra socket in the bedroom, who am i to argue and refuse, its money out of my pocket after all.

its a similar situation with the new condensing boilers, if you fit a new boiler it has to be condensing, but that doesnt stop you from working on an older model.

on another note for anybody reading, if your getting work done and your bathroom need supplimentary bonding, leave it till next year as it looks like that is to be scrapped in favour of RCD protection.

russ

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly re electric safety checks (not yet compulsory), I was informed that ground floor flats required circuit-breaker fuse box (not sure of the name, but the more sensitive one) in case tenants took cables out of the window for eg Flymo, or ironing outside. This rule does not apparently apply from first floor upwards!

In Glasgow area, 1st Call Gas & Electric can advise / supply both gas and electrical checks / advice - 0141 571 2142 or www.1stcall.info

hi LiS

your correct about RCD protection for socket outlets [likley] to supply portable appliances outdoors. not just in downstairs flats but upstairs aswell, (nothing to stop them using an extention lead also) dont know about the ironing though :) . but its not mandatory to upgrade, its just not upto todays regs, but if you had an inspection done it would be a code 1 IMO, and if any work was being done on that circuit it would have to have RCD protection or i would refuse, its a pain when some one calls "i want a socket fitted for my microwave" you call, no RCD, its goint to be £175 lady and they chase you out of the house calling you a con man, then joe from the pub goes to b&Q and charges her £20 for the "same" job!

but there is other methods of achieving this, a RCBO, an RCD socket at the front/back door, an RCD main switch covering the whole property, even an RCD extention lead as a bare min. what a RCD/RCBO does it monitors the current balance between L/N, if there is any diference, ie; there is a current going from L/N to earth greater than its rate (30mA for sockets) it trips.

each place should be looked at for its own merit, but changing CU's is a good earner for a days work, so thats probabaly why most advise it!

russ

Hi All I guess its all pritty much been said however one small foot note!

Testing of the electrical hard wiring is recomended every 5 years or so alough not mandatory they will use the IEE regulations as the standard in a court to prosicute you. The portable appliances again fall into the relm of the hard wiring re; the IEE regs. The ownus in law is to enshure as far as is practical that the house & all the contence is to all intents & pourpus fit for its pourpus, is maintained & fit for use. For me as a land lord I have the hard wiring done every 5 years or so & the appliances every 2years or so. The HSE implications also make the tenant as responsible for there selves & others within the enviroment in which they live. In the termes & conditions of renting my property I have a clause that states that the tenant is also as resposisable for the safty & condition of the equipment as I am & to be fare nobody is going to use an appliance with a broken flex or is clearly damaged in some way. If they do & as a resault claime for injury the court will look at the IEE regs & the HSE guidelines but you must be able to prove you have done as much as practicable & within the GUIDENCE of the regs & you should be well within the law as we know it.

Shelley, when you say tenants, if the property becomes a HMO other than converted blocks of flats, i.e all self contained.

It is now a statutory obligation for the person managing to have the fixed electrical installation inspected and tested of intervals not exceeding 5 years. However it only applies to HMO's.

FTAO BTLWhizz

Quite the reverse if you look around you will find that i recommend Gas safety's on tenant change which often means 2 per year !

Have a look on the other threads ! This is not about antagonising people - but rather advice, suggestions exloring new ideas etc and sometimes a bit of "thinking out of the box !"

Hope you can continue in a more appropiate vein !!!

Simon

Archived