Rented Property Energy Assessment

Webb

Apparently next year sometime, UK rented properties (1.6million?) are going to require Energy Performance Certificates.

This is to follow on the back of the similar requirement for home sales as from June this year, which will require an inspection by an accredited assessor.

Does anyone know about this or have any experience of this? e.g. Will it be possible for Landlords to do it themselves - self-certify?

Self certifying? you must be joking .... this is another stealth tax for revenue for the Government and probably to keep the army of HIP's Inspectors employed at vast Public Expense.

Melboy,

I wouldn't disagree with your view, but I am looking for serious comment if indeed there's any out there!

(I'm also interested in a cheap way to aquire accreditation for EPC assessment.)

Well, I have heard or read nothing about your question on Energy Performance Cerificates.

Where have you got your info from that this is going to be a requirement for Landlords ?

Mel.

You need to read EU Directive 2002/91/EC. There is a briefing note on the Energy Saving Trust website http://www.est.org.uk/uploads/documents/ho...irective_bn.pdf

The Energy Performance Certificate is part of the Home Information Pack which comes into legal effect for sold houses from June 2007. According to the Directive and the briefing note it is intended to extend to rented property sometime after that.

Companies are advertising courses for accreditation of trained inspectors but the course I have been offered costs a lot of money.

You need to read EU Directive 2002/91/EC. There is a briefing note on the Energy Saving Trust website http://www.est.org.uk/uploads/documents/ho...irective_bn.pdf

The Energy Performance Certificate is part of the Home Information Pack which comes into legal effect for sold houses from June 2007. According to the Directive and the briefing note it is intended to extend to rented property sometime after that.

Companies are advertising courses for accreditation of trained inspectors but the course I have been offered costs a lot of money.

I wouldn't get too excited about it because the reports I am reading of late suggest the movement by professional organisations to ban the intoduction of HIP's is in full swing and already the Tories have said they will scrap the tax if returned to Government.

Mel.

Mel,

I hope you're right, but so far the only bit the Gov has stepped back on is the Home Condition Report part of the HIP. As I understand, so far the EPC remains a mandatory part of HIP for house sales.

Apparently HCR can cost at least £150 - £200 and EPC £100 - £160. A stealth tax or whatever....?

I would be interested to hear reactions from anyone involved in the recent pilot trial.

Archived