heating

collette

B) Hello, I let an all electric flat. One of the storage heaters no longer works; the cost of replacing it makes me wonder if it would be unfair to future tenants to replace it with a panel or oil filled radiator. I know the storage heater uses electricity at a cheaper rate (economy 7) however a like for like storage heater would cost approx. £300. Dilemma!

I would be grateful for opinions.

It would depend where the storage heater is located. In a main room or hall where it might be on most of time to maintain a warm background, the extra cost of a storage heater would probably pay for itself on the lower night tarif in about one season. You need to do the sums.

On the other hand if it's somewhere that needs to provide a quick burst of heat but need not be on all day, a plug in panel or portable daytime heater would be more effective and flexible. The risk is that the tenants could leave it on unnecessarily. Their problem if they're paying the electricity bill!

Also bear in mind if the tenant complains to the council that the heating isnt good enough they will come down to look at it. They dont consider free standing heaters as good enough and my council will only accept proper storage heating. Also free standing heaters are expensive to run and tenants will only put them on as little as possilble and not venterlate properly which can help cause condensation and mould growth and then they will complain to the council.

Collette,

Never be tempted to penny pinch - it is something that many landlords have a reputation of doing and, in my experience, those who save pennies lose POUNDS (in lost rent and void periods).

This storage heater problem is really a "no brainer" decision. Replace it with a like for like model. So it costs you £300 (which is tax deductable against the rental income so it only really costs you £234 or, if you are a 40% tax payer, £180). In other words ... let Gordon Brown contribute towards the maintenance of your property.

Once fitted, the new heater will look good, will provide warmth for your tenant (who is paying you good rent) and will also be more economical to run (for the tenant).

If you penny pinch then some tenants, in the future, might be tempted to leave your property because they are either cold (because the cheaper solution you implemented doesn't keep them warm) or they are getting high energy charges (because the cheap heater doesn't run off night time electricity).

In summary - be a good landlord - look after your tenants - and they will repay you by staying longer and paying you rent.

Good luck,

Mark

Collette,

Never be tempted to penny pinch - it is something that many landlords have a reputation of doing and, in my experience, those who save pennies lose POUNDS (in lost rent and void periods).

This storage heater problem is really a "no brainer" decision. Replace it with a like for like model. So it costs you £300 (which is tax deductable against the rental income so it only really costs you £234 or, if you are a 40% tax payer, £180). In other words ... let Gordon Brown contribute towards the maintenance of your property.

Once fitted, the new heater will look good, will provide warmth for your tenant (who is paying you good rent) and will also be more economical to run (for the tenant).

If you penny pinch then some tenants, in the future, might be tempted to leave your property because they are either cold (because the cheaper solution you implemented doesn't keep them warm) or they are getting high energy charges (because the cheap heater doesn't run off night time electricity).

In summary - be a good landlord - look after your tenants - and they will repay you by staying longer and paying you rent.

Good luck,

Mark

B) Many thanks for your replies - all good advice.

Archived