Terrifying Service charge to Come

wotsitallabout

Hello all

I am a lessee of a studio flat that I let. Camden Council are the freeholders and I understand that the works they propose will have a bill of up to £20,000. What can I do here please.

There is no lessees association., Camden say that we are one too little to have one.

I can see nothing in the lease that says there is a maximum they can charge.

Can you suggest anything please?

Regards

Alan

My brother lives in another London Borough where in his block of 50 flats some are privately owned and the freeholder is the council under a housing association name.

Over the last 3 years massive works have had to the done to parts of the structure due to concrete sickness. They did form an association but nothing much came of it. The council have sent large bills to private owners but no one he knows has paid up. Since there is a massive amount of equity in the property he is not unduly worried and I am sure the council are aware of this.

Don't pay a penny until you are forced and even then contest it. A small number of lessors can become an pressure group - I don't get how the council can prevent it!

Liability for the payment of repairs is written into the lease. If the freeholder follows due process and issues the statutory notices then the leaseholder is responsible for their share of the cost. Failure to pay means the leaseholder is in breach of the terms of the lease and ultimately will loose the property.....although this will take a long time to go thru the courts.

Freeholders and especially local councils will normally bend over backwards to help leaseholders afford these unexpected bills. But the bottom line is that they DO have to be paid. Nobody else is going to pay it. Local taxpayers in Camden and taxpayers generally will not want to put their hands in their pockets to help out.

Sometimes the buildings insurance will cover the costs but if its general wear & tear, such as new roof, it won't be covered. Its reasonable to assume the freeholder has already determined wether its covered by building insurance

OP _how many flats/studios in the block and how many are privately owned?

'Up to £20,000' could only mean as little as £1,000 and the way property prices in London are going that will not be much to pay when comes around to you moving on or re-mortgaging or paying in installments.

Archived