Teenent moved out, owns me money, but I still got her staff.

Rad

Hi

I've been renting bedrooms in my own house. One woman was living in one of my bedrooms for more than 2 years and moved out at June 2014.

For most of that period, she was owning me money, and when she left, she still own me exactly £200, promising that she is going to give it back to me. Since than I've found out that for some reason she believe it is only £75. Lackey, for me I think I got her recorded on my phone admitting that yes, she owns me £200.

I also got her personal belongings, which I am not intend to give back to her until I got my money.

I got 2 questions:

1. Is phone recording good enough proof.

2. Am I in wrong, trying to keep her staff as a hostage. Could I be in trouble for that. Would it be better if I give it to her and then sue her for money she ows me.

Thanks

Rad

Morally,you're not wrong.

Legally,you're right but the costs ( time and money) would not be worth it.

You've done her a favor putting a roof over her head for the past two years and this is how she repays you.if it was me £200 worth of her belongings would go missing? until she paid up...

John ;)

You've done her a favor putting a roof over her head for the past two years and this is how she repays you.if it was me £200 worth of her belongings would go missing? until she paid up...

John ;)

Aaah! and you would be wide open to a small claims court action by her and it would cost you a lot of compensation money if you sold her possessions off or concealed them from her.

Read up on the rules and regs. John on disposal of a tenant's possessions that are left behind when a tenant leaves your property. Is it fair? No, but a lot of legistlation is unfair towards landlord's

Thanks guys.

That is exactly what I am going to do. I am going to give her her staff. It may not be worth it.

Do you know what is the best way to do it? Shall I ask her to text me list of the staff she wants back. Shall I give it back to her personally, leave it outside and tell her to take it while having it in front of my cameras?

I did declare it to HMRC, but theft of stuff is what I am afraid of. Will give it back to her.

Contact her and give her 7 days to get in touch to clear items from the property. If you have an address do it recorded mail letter or into her hand personally. Keep a copy of the letter. Take photographs etc.

If you have storage facilities like a garage put the items in there for now.

Basically you have to give her fair warning and reasonable time to clear her items upon notice of your intentions.

She left a chest with many personal belongings.

1.What if she decided to be an ass and say that there was something more inside that chest? She can't get a proof, though, she may try to convince somebody who has not lived in my house to lie on her behalf, would it be something easy or difficult in court?

2. Would email or/and mobile phone written message about taking her stuff suffice?

Contacting her is the first thing to do. Email or voice mail tell her she has 72hrs to respond back to you to discuss this matter and move it forward.

No response? Then it's letter writing time for you.

Thanks Melboy.

I've been in contact with her.

She moved out in Jun 2014.

First she had try to take her stuff when I was away (about 2 months ago). I stop her by letting her know that I am actually home, and remind her that she owns me a money.

Then her doughtier try to thread me with the letter from imaginary lawyer, somewhere in Poland (this week).

Then I contacted her demanding that she send me a phone message stating exactly how much she owns me.

Took her some time to respond, and then she said send me message saying that I am paranoid, that it is inheritance from my father, and from now contact her only through a Lawyer.

Then I reminded her that her own husband said that he wish she was dead, that her daughter was crack addict with nearly no more veins to be used, and that she is apparently wanted by police in Poland.

Cheers

Archived