Selling property privately -any experience or advice?

Linda

Hello

I'm in the process of selling my one bedroom flat privately (no need for useless Estate Agents) and was wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, I'd be interested to know your experience. I'm more interested in what methods of successful advertising strategy used, how long it took, is the option of auctions feasible rather than techniques how to present your home such as: tidy up the place. I know that basic stuff. Anyway, all you gotta do is watch Channel 5 House Doctor.

Love to hear from you only if you've done it or know someone who has.

Cheers

Linda

Hi Linda,

Even though I am not the greatest supporter of "useless estate agents" - the fact remains that the "market" place, by and large, will approach estate agents when they are looking to buy property (either via Rightmove or by registering in their "1950s style" shops).

If you are determined to market the property yourself - thereby saving a couple of thousand pounds - then you are narrowing the number of people that are going to be interested in your property (because the crowd use estate agents) which is why you are asking advice on marketing strategies etc.

In my opinion, you are going to find it difficult to "re-educate" the market. You will not have the marketing funds to take out - expensive - big advertisements in the local papers to actively promote your property.

You run the risk of having you property empty and unsold for a long period of time (which might not be good news if the housing market turns and property prices start to fall) or you might end up spending all of your savings (by not using estate agents) in trying to un-successfully advertise the property.

In summary - for the sake of a few thousand pounds that will be tax deductable - I would advise you use a good estate agent and get the place sold ASAP.

Good luck,

Mark

Archived