Roof repair responsibility

Ellieben

I have just re roofed my rented property and the work was completed just before Christmas, however the scaffolding is yet to be dismantled although my roofer has instructed scaffolding company to dismantle it. I expect they have a backlog due to holidays.

The tenant is not happy about this and expects me to resolve the matter. Is the scaffolding my responsibility - I have done all I can to get the roofer to resolve this and he too has done his best. Surely the scaffolding contract is between the scaffolding company and the roofer ? The tenant has the roofers number and was on site when the work was being carried out and the scaffolding situation was explained to him by the roofer. What is my legal position here ?

I have just re roofed my rented property and the work was completed just before Christmas, however the scaffolding is yet to be dismantled although my roofer has instructed scaffolding company to dismantle it. I expect they have a backlog due to holidays.

The tenant is not happy about this and expects me to resolve the matter. Is the scaffolding my responsibility - I have done all I can to get the roofer to resolve this and he too has done his best. Surely the scaffolding contract is between the scaffolding company and the roofer ? The tenant has the roofers number and was on site when the work was being carried out and the scaffolding situation was explained to him by the roofer. What is my legal position here ?

You employed the roofer so your contract is with them. If you are doing all you can to get the scaffolding removed then you are meeting your obligations but you are not responsible for contacting the scaffold company.

Tell your tenant that they will have to accept the situation until the scaffolders remove said scaffold. Just because they pay rent does not entitle your tenant(s) to any special treatment.

The tenant has no say in matter - what does he want - a leaky roof!

You are right Ellieben is assuming scaffolders may have a backlog and after all the bad weather is may take a while to clear. I have scaffold up on a building at present and in a conversation yesterday one told me that it is far more economical to transfer scaffold to a new job than take is down and put it back in the yard. The weather situation has led to a glut of new works that need scaffold.

Archived