Repairs - who is responsible

Shazbot04

I am having a nightmare with a DSS tenant at the moment! They have decided to not pay the rent as they would like the council to put them in one of their homes. they have therefore, decided to take their crap out on me regardless of how much it costs me. I have been to see a solicitor today and will drag them through the courts. I need to start claiming their HB which should come into play next week. What I want to know is if the boiler breaks down is it still my responsibility? They will owe two months rent arrears plus a build up of the shortfall of HB, or is it up to them to deal with as they think it's ok to get a free ride on my back.

What I want to know is if the boiler breaks down is it still my responsibility?

Yes unfortunately it is.

The landlord is responsible for repairs irrespective of the actions of the tenant or rent arrears.

Any court action by you is likely to fail if you haven't carried out essential repairs like a boiler breakdown.

The boiler is always responsibility of landlord, same as any landlord-owned item fixed to property or offered with the tenancy, whatever the circumstances.

If however you mean boiler has been damaged by tenant, you would have to prove this (with great difficulty I guess) in order to claim any costs towards repairs.

Unfortunately situation can (and probably will) get worse until tenants' departure, because looking after your property has probably become the least of their concerns and priorities.

Thank you for the reply.

The boiler is not broken but situation is so bad at the min I am thinking all kinds before they even happen. I think looking after my property was the least of their concern since moving in day. It annoys me that she can damage the property keep a hold of 2 months housing benefits I have had my eyes well and truly opened with the benefits system it's a disgrace.

Archived