Electricity Bill - Tennant Have Done A Runner!

Docsoul

Thanks for reading this - I could do with some help as I've had some real bad luck.

I rented my place out to what I was told was a Vietnamese family last Feb (2005).

Turns out these guys were using my place as a cannabis factory!

The Police broke in last month (Dec) and raided the house - They contacted me and everything is being sorted out.

Turns out that EDF Energy want £5k out of me as they say the tennants by-passed the meter (which they did) and they estimate thats how much electricity has been used for the sun lamps to grow the plants.

They are adament that I have to pay this but surley this is a criminal offence by the tennants?

Can someone please help me with this - and, no I don't have any plants left over!

Soul

Was that in Swindon? We had 3 busts here with cannabis factories in rented property.

You are not liable if a signed Tenancy contract was in place and you had informed the utility company of the change of person paying the bill. If you didn't do this, then yes, I am sorry to say you are liable.

Was that in Swindon? We had 3 busts here with cannabis factories in rented property.

You are not liable if a signed Tenancy contract was in place and you had informed the utility company of the change of person paying the bill. If you didn't do this, then yes, I am sorry to say you are liable.

No, it was in South London actually.

Thanks for letting me know - The utility company was notified by the tennants but they were given a bogus name - Does this mean that it's the utilities problem or mine?

Soul

Not 100% sure on that one.

I always contact the utilities myself to ensure no false names are given to them.

You may have to seek legal advice on that one as a change of name was actually given to the utility company which means that your name is not in the frame for liability which means it is the utility companies responsibility to recover their costs from the people who submitted a false name to them.

Personally I would tell them to get lost by legal letter from a good Solicitor.

Archived