Tenant absent..not paying court judgement

heebs

i put in a claim online for a tenant who disappeared after signing a one year contract..and owing me nearly £5000...the tenant didnt respond so i had a judgement by defualt...she still didnt respond...now online they have asked if i want to pay £150 to issue a warrant thru bailiffs...i am confused..she has left work and the address they and i hold may no longer be valid as she might have gone to ireland...and i dont know if i am throwing good money after bad as i dont know how effective it is to pay the court for bailifs...maybe private debt recovery would be more productive

What should i do...pay another £150 or go thru private debt recovery...i dont have any contact details for her except her last address and her mobile is no longer working..i have her fiances mobile and address but he could have moved too...

I might have her bank details but dont know how much that will help.

Any advice anyone..??..

thanks in advance

p.s...i am thinking of parking outside her current address as its near my home to see if she still lives there..then maybe pay for bailiffs...debt recovery...but knowing her history of dodging the truth and evading ..i dont know how much this will help as she could just tell her faltmates to tell the bailiffs she doesnt live there even if she does...

this is a nightmare...and i am due to deliver my baby in 9 weeks..

This all sounds very familiar.

I have a similar situation (except not pregnant). My former tenant has never responded to my CCJ.

I was advised to forget it. Chasing money always costs money. Even if the tenant was found and 'agreed' a repayment scheme how could one be sure it would last. Is it worth the anxious wait for the postman each week?

I even question the value of a CCJ, apart from some satisfaction from the legal process.

Move on, write off the experience, stop worrying about the past and concentrate on finding good tenants. Then keep a regular eye on rent payments and act quickly if they fail.

All the best for the birth!

Hi Heebs

I think because you have obtained a ccj only the county court bailiffs can collect this debt

so you wont be allowed to use private debt collectors

in my experience the county court bailliffs are a waste of time ( they earn a weekly wage and not commision so only go after easy pickings which your debtor appears not to be )

My advice is forget about wasteing money chasing this debt and move on

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear

TH

hi TH

are you sure i cant use private debt collectors...i got in touch with moneyclaim online to get a copy of the judgement as i told them i was using private debt collectors and they didnt mention anything..and also the debt collecting company didnt say any such thing either...if this is the case please let me know where you know this from so i dont waste any more money paying private debt collectors..

many thanks

Am I right in thinking that you never actually lost 5k in hard money but she had signed a Tenancy contract for the year and then pulled out a couple of weeks later?

If that is the case then you are throwing away good money after a bad experience. Hardly worth pursuing any further......move on if you can.

hi TH

are you sure i cant use private debt collectors...i got in touch with moneyclaim online to get a copy of the judgement as i told them i was using private debt collectors and they didnt mention anything..and also the debt collecting company didnt say any such thing either...if this is the case please let me know where you know this from so i dont waste any more money paying private debt collectors..

many thanks

Hi Heebs

I have just checked with my local county court

They told me with a ccj you have to use county court bailiffs

TH

Court bailiff are not always help. I am having similar problem as yours

After taking my tenants to court, received favourably judgement and paid fees to evict the tenants who happened to have left the property without anyone's knowledge, I decided to send the bailiff to tenants new Bentley fish and chip shop/flat at 47 Bentley Street, Cleethorpes.

The bailiff came back saying the assets (equipments, utensils, microwave) used in tenants’ business are leased and can not be seized. There is nothing they can do to recover the rent of £4585 owed.

I wonder why the bailiff/court could not request statement of their earnings such as bank statement or search their flat which is above the shop for their belongings.

I am hoping to pass the debt to a debt recovery company.

Court bailiff are not always help. I am having similar problem as yours

After taking my tenants to court, received favourably judgement and paid fees to evict the tenants who happened to have left the property without anyone's knowledge, I decided to send the bailiff to tenants new Bentley fish and chip shop/flat at 47 Bentley Street, Cleethorpes.

The bailiff came back saying the assets (equipments, utensils, microwave) used in tenants’ business are leased and can not be seized. There is nothing they can do to recover the rent of £4585 owed.

I wonder why the bailiff/court could not request statement of their earnings such as bank statement or search their flat which is above the shop for their belongings.

I am hoping to pass the debt to a debt recovery company.

I know...bailiffs dont seem like a good idea...and i want to use a debt recovery agency...but one the replies here said we cant use anything other than bailiffs...doesnt sound logical..but will find out from moneyclain online (where i got my judgement) and let you know...wish you luck...keep me posted....atleast in your case you know where the tenants are...in my case tenants on the run dont usually let you know where to pin them down.

h

Hi Heebs

I have just checked with my local county court

They told me with a ccj you have to use county court bailiffs

TH

I rang the court..and money claim online and they both told me there was nothing to say I couldnt use private debt collectors and told me this was a better option than using the court bailiffs...also the private company would have advised me if they couldnt pursue either.

So all of you...ITS OFFICIAL ...you CAN use private debt collectors with your judgement order...or what would be the use.!!!

BECAUSE OF THE INCORRECT INFO BY XILLA IT HAS SET ME BACK DAYS IN PURSUING MY DEBT WITH THE PRIVATE DEBT COLLECTORS...SO PLEASE DONT PUT ANY INFO HERE UNLESS YOU ARE SURE...THANKS

Two cases for me

One over £1000 eventually 10 years later I got the money after putting it thought homelet .... tenant finally wanted to clear his ccj

other one

3 years on, nothing nowhere and paid about £1000 to chase £5k ..... gave up

So I have seen both sides. If you can pay someone to sell the debt - they will chase it and give you % of it. So you just forget about it and move on - they will find them, cos thats what they do for a living.

Too stressful to chase them yourself I think ... sucks away at your life ....

Lea Beven

Two cases for me

One over £1000 eventually 10 years later I got the money after putting it thought homelet .... tenant finally wanted to clear his ccj

other one

3 years on, nothing nowhere and paid about £1000 to chase £5k ..... gave up

So I have seen both sides. If you can pay someone to sell the debt - they will chase it and give you % of it. So you just forget about it and move on - they will find them, cos thats what they do for a living.

Too stressful to chase them yourself I think ... sucks away at your life ....

Lea Beven

Hi Lea

thanks for sharing...good advice...do you know who i can sell my debt to...am a novice in this area...

May God save us from these hapless tenants...

h

Archived