rent arrears

plym77

Hi all

My tenant was due to pay the rent on 1st of this month, however, I have checked every day and it has not been deposited - she never did a standing order so had been putting it in to my account in cash but only after I have chased it but at that point she did put it in. However, this month feels different. I have tried to ring several times and left two very friendly text messages and then yesterday I sent her a letter chasing the rent. I have a feeling she is defaulting. She moved in 1 September on a 6month contract. The first cheque she gave me bounced so she subsequently put the cash into my account. I still have the cheque but suppose I would be breaking the law if I tried to re-bank it to pay this months rent?

I have just spoken to the girl who owns the flat upstairs and she says that there is still someone there but that she has her suspicions as there would appear to be alot a 'callers' coming and going. My tenant is foreign so the checks I could do at the beginning were limited.

What are my rights and where do I go from here please?

Many thanks

Sherena

Hi Sheena,

It is still "early days" and I wouldn't start to panic ...... YET .. although it does look ominous !

I think you need to get a face-to-face meeting with the tenant ASAP (especially as friendly text messages aren't working) to a) get this months rent and :( tell her that you are fed up with the late payments. I think you need to call around, in person, and arrange a time for the meeting ... or try and talk with the tenant on the doorstep.

It may well be that she can't afford to pay the rent anymore in which case I would advise that you let her out of the 6 month agreement, without penalty, ASAP so that you can a) get possession back and :D let it to someone who will pay the rent.

I am aware that others on the forum might advise legal action but I think the most pragmatic approach is to get the property back and move on. The only time to go legal, in my experience, is when they refuse to leave and refuse to pay the rent !!

Good luck,

Mark

Thanks Mark - I will write her a letter saying that we need to meet and see how I get on. Difficulty is I live 2 hours from the property and so need to pre-arrange such a meeting. Many thanks - Sherena

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Thanks for asking, well she responded to my letter, telephoned and said she was £100 short. Paid in the first bit that day and she paid the balance in last week. I have told her that she must set up a standing order and she said she would... I guess I just until the end of the month to see whether I get the rent

I suppose the lesson is that non-payment doesnt always mean no payment... but hopefully she will put the STO in place and no more problems

Sherena

Archived